Whinning Hydro's Again

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Atlantic Lawn, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

I know we have visited this problem before. My new Z was quiet after I bought it, 1 or 2 hr's. After sitting for a few months over winter I took it out to start cutting and the noise appeared, it gets louder when I steer so I know it's the hydros. The dealer is two hrs away and I need to get this resolved. I hate taking a day from work and I'm sure I can correct it myself. I read in the manual about the warm up time and the air should purge but the noise hasn't gone away. I'm a lone Exmark rider in this area which is Toro land. Thanks Steve

2. Lazer Man

Lazer Man LawnSite Member
    from SW Pa.

Steve are you running at full throttle if not that could be a cause of your prob, the other could be low hydro oil have you checked your level? The only other thing I can think of is air in your hydro I know after I change mine I jack up the rear of the mower so that the rear tires a off the ground and I let run with the levers pushed forward all the way and at full throttle for a few minutes then I put the levers in reverse and back to forward a few times always clears up any noise. Hope this helps out

Bob

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Atlantic Lawn,

Whine is generally as tell tale sign of air in the system. You probably just need to run it until it purges from the system. If it gets worse however I'd get it in to a dealer and have it looked at.

How many hours are on the machine? You may want to go ahead and service the hydro system even if it is early.

Thanks

Terry

4. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

There are about 10 hrs on this mower, the fluid level is correct when checked cold. We really haven't gotten into our heavy cutting yet and I guess I'll try to take it up tp a dealer . I'll try jacking up the rear of the mower and let it run before I make the trip. This may be a dumb question but where does the air " go" when it bleeds off ? If the lid on the tank is closed tight where does it escape to ? When I bleed injectors on a diesel I know when all the air is out. Thanks

5. eXmark

Atlantic,

If you've only got 10 hours total on the machine I'd run it for a couple of hours and see what happens. You’ll probably find it just needs to get good and warm and stretch it’s legs for a while.

When the hydro system purges the air it simply dumps the air into the reservoir where it can separate from the fluid and exit through the vent in the cap.

Thanks

Terry

6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that the reason that the fluid comes out of the cap?
    My lazer and turf tracer both always have hydro fluid around the resivoir.
    Does all the exmarks leak fluid out of the cap??
    I have purchased new caps for them and the fluid is at the baffle.

7. eXmark

Premo,

Generally the oil around the cap and on top of the reservoir is the small amount of oil that escapes through the reservoir cap vent as the fluid and air expand and contract.

If however you see fluid coming out the top of the cap that would indicate a great deal of air in the hydro fluid. Generally it will look like the fluid is being pumped out the vent hole. If this happens the fluid will be foamy or a little milky in color which again is an indication of air in the system.

Thanks

Terry

8. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks, It is not milky or no air is in system, they run good. There is always hydro oil around resivoir when I clean the machine. Just thought it was something I needed to worry about... Like I don't have enough to worry about already...