Lawn Care Forum banner

Whipper Clipper Edgers, I bought one!

9K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Mowingman 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard of the Whipper Clipper edger? I was looking for a really heavy duty edger and found these at a local dealer. They are built in Bonham, Texas, and have been in business since 1949. A 3-wheel and a 4-wheel model are avail, I bought the 4-wheel version with a 3.5hp B&S engine. Price was 380.00.
This thing is all metal, no plastic anywhere on it. It has a big cutter whell with 8 blades(teeth) on it. Each cutting edge has been hardsurfaced. I tried it out today,and boy does this thing cut. It is really stable when jacked up to run on a curb. I don't have the means to post photos, but the overall design is really neat, unlike any other edger I have ever seen. If anyone is interested in info, they list the following toll-free no.
1-800-308-3289:)

#3 ·
Thanks for posting that website, I did not have that info. I would have got the Honda, but I needed it by 9:00AM today,(Monday), and the dealer only had the ones with B&S engines in stock.
He said he has not had anyone bring a Briggs powered unit back with a bad engine for warranty work, so I decided to give the Briggs a try.I can't wait to put this little monster to work today.:blob3:

#5 ·
Homer,
This place has not been edged in 3 years.I needed a tough, heavy edger to cut through the thick grass and dirt so I can get a good notch started along the concrete. I have several stick edgers and they just bounce along the top on hard packed,thick dirt.
Used the new edger today, and it did great. It was some tough work though. Made one pass with the big edger, then made a second pass on everything with a stick edger to tidy up the edge and clean up the occasional Bermuda runner. Some places had runners over 4' long. Have to use brooms and shovels to clean up after edging as there are piles of dirt and grass. Three of us put in 21 mhrs total today, mowing, trimming, and edging. Figure we have at least that much more tomorrow, mostly in edging work. Glad I bid this high.:D

#6 ·
Good luck to you with it, can't wait to hear the results after the first 6000 lft. Good to see this post as i had wondered about them after seeing their WS. I have always used tanaka and lw but these are about half the price. Keep us informed.

#8 ·
22 year old thread......digging up some old ones here....

#11 ·
We....I mean they are not communicating with the Mother ship....I mean control center......ya control center.....in India...ya India......

• Eye Roll
Reactions: Bumpmaster
#14 ·
Hey, this is an OLD thread that I started. Fun to see it resurrected. Whipper Clipper did end production many years ago. I believe they sold out to a power equipment store that was one of their big dealers. They did not last too long after that. Now you know, "The rest of the story".
Paul Harvey was great. I bought my first Ram after Superbowl XLVII. The Ram sucked though. Major trans failure.