Whitch truck to get???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Premo Services, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Would appreciate some imput from users of these trucks.

I am in the market for a 3/4 ton truck for my business.
    I have found two that have drawn my intrest.
    1. 2000 chevy 2500-- 6.0 engine (50,000miles)
    Regular cab and full size bed.

2. 1999 ford f250 w/7.3 powerstroke diesel supercab and 6 ft bed.(130,000 miles)
    The f250 is higher by 3 grand...

I want to get the ezdumper for the truck I get and is the shorter bed going to screw me out of that much less materials than the long bed model will hold.?

I will more than likely be getting a plow also for it.

Which one would you get and why???
    Thanks in advance.
  2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Over the years I have owned all brands of trucks. We are now running two Chevy 2500's with Duramax and Allison tranny. Before that we had F250's with the powerstroke. Chevy beats the ford hands down. Not even close. But this is a hot topic and eveyone has a favorite truck that you cannot talk them out of. Like a car salesman buddy of mine says. "When it comes to vehicles there are two things you cannot overcome: Poverty and ignorance!" :) My advice to you would be to test drive them both and decide for yourself.
  3. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM LawnSite Member

Poverty because you make your Chevrolet mechanic RICHER, and ignorance? well...well...never mind it's not worth explaining.

Good advice!
  4. Avery

Case in point Premo Services. :laugh:

Heron Cove PM, have you owned both? Or are you just working off assumptions here? :confused:
  5. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM LawnSite Member

Unfortunately, (insert bow-tie here) I've owned both. [​IMG]
  6. Avery

Cool! Run what works for you!!
  7. Sherminator

Sherminator LawnSite Member

I am Chevy biased, but the Powerstroke is a dang good engine and will probably serve you better when hauling heavy loads. It's almost a coin toss.
  8. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know the truck models all that well, but first thought that came to mind would be wouldn't it make sense to buy the truck that has 50,000 miles as opposed to 130,000 (which is a HUGE amount of less miles) and as a bonus, it costs $3000 less???

I realize that diesels can run forever, but that's an 80000 mile difference..

Also look them up spec by spec on www.kbb.com to get an idea. look at the pricing and you can see which one should be better for you.
  9. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I am a Chevy fan myself, but I do like the Superduty trucks with the 7.3 L Powerstroke. They are good, solid trucks. The new 6.0 L PSD is a different story. :( I hope they get their problems sorted out with this new engine.
  10. Logangate

Logangate LawnSite Member

As far as diesel engines go, cummins are the best. I would be scared to buy a Powerstroke w/ 130,000 miles. A waterpump on one of those things costs $500!! A cummins/dodge one costs $50! If you get an older diesel, it needs to be a cummins. Duramaxes I think are good engines, but they still have a track record to prove. I'd would say look for a durmax or a cummins. You can get a good deal on a cummins.