White bugs... flies(?)

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jul 24, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I was spraying a lawn yesterday for dollar spot, it was BAD, well, as I was spraying I would come to a longer greener spot and step on it and notice a lot of white flies(?) going everywhere. Is this something I need to be concerned of?

2. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Probably just leafhoppers, not a real problem.

3. DeepGreenLawn

I didn't seem to notice much damage so I didn't think so.

4. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

flies or moths? If they are small moths (1/4" wings).. out here.. they would prolly be sod webworm adults... you would want to note it and... wait.. this is the organic forum...

5. DeepGreenLawn

no these guys are about the size of a pin head. tiny little buggers. I would compare them too.... maybe the middle part of a small ant, just white and more visible? A grain of pepper?

6. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Kill em kill em kill em! IPM? Bah! Erradicate everything? YA! Haha sorry, just havin some fun. Not sure what they are, but I personally wouldn't be concerned, unless the turf isn't looking well.

7. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

a picture might help a little?

8. DeepGreenLawn

I don't think I could get a pic of these guys they are so small. I have seen them before but again, I never have associated them with damage, but then again, I have never cared much either until now.

9. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

What type of grass? What have the conditions been hot and dry, or wet? Maybe fungus gnats, but they usually appear black when flying.
    There are rhodesgrass mealybugs, whiteflys (no surprise), winged ants, wooly aphids, and more to choose from. I dont recall seeing anything like you say coming off of turf though.

10. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

hit them with some fish oil!!! that will fix them