White clay?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by O'Dell Equipment Rental, Feb 5, 2007.

1. O'Dell Equipment Rental

O'Dell Equipment Rental LawnSite Member

I dug some test holes on my new lot Sat, and found good red clay in all areas except the main place I wanted to dig from, it was a white clay sandy on top but the same consistency of the red clay after about 4 ft down. It isn't what we call "gumbo" clay around here it appears to be just like the red clay only white.

I want to dig from the back of my lot and move it to the front. Does the white clay pack like the red clay? I would like to be a little more informed when the guys start giving me bids.

2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The white clay here is usually Bentonite

4. O'Dell Equipment Rental

I looked at those links that could be it. Does it pack? If it is bentonite does it pack down good? I know that is what ponds are lined with isn't it?

5. AWJ Services

from Ga

We have alot of Kaolin in the middle and lower Ga areas.

I do not know how well it will pack but the stuff is like glue when it gets wet.

6. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Yes we do - my experience with the white stuff is not good . It is impossible to work , will not perc so it acts like a plug and holds water , gets slick as boiled okra when it gets wet and will have soft areas that will not compact at all - just stays spongey. Yours may be different , but if it is like middle Georgia white , you need to leave it where it is.

7. AWJ Services

from Ga

We had 1500 acres leased at the back side of the old Oakey Woods WMA and it was ate up with it.
    It would get in your 4 wheeler rims and be so sticky that it would bog it down.

8. O'Dell Equipment Rental

I went up there yesterday and the piles from the holes I had dug were hard as a brick and mostly dry. It must not be Kaolin, I don't know what it is, but it looks like it would make a pretty good base. Thanks for your input.