White Fly Alert PBC, FL

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Buck_wheat, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Buck_wheat

Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member

I am starting to see evidence of a major (fig) white fly invassion in NE Palm Beach County with activity as far South as Central Palm Beach County, FL.

Mostly hedges under 8'; no trees yet.

I am doing a quick "Safari" drench to affected plantings on my properties;

I treated the trees using Coretect Tablets (slow release imidachloropid & nutrients) beginning last May... they show no evidence of White Fly... yet.

Here's hoping for rapidly dropping temperatures.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I have been seeing them around here for about 2 months. Saw some damage to some boxwoods on Friday from them...
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

We havent had them yet over here, least what I can tell. I hear they do a number on Ficus.

4. Buck_wheat

Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member

Just completed my BMP and found out new species has invaded. Attacking Gumbo Limbo, Arboragola, boxwoods palm Trees including Coconuts and other ornamentals. They are seeing them in Dade right now but they are moving up.

There's a workshop coming at your local extension (November in PBC) that will discuss them.

5. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Its a different type of whitefly than you experience in GA.

6. cgaengineer

Oh ree ree?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. cgaengineer

8. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

these are a species specific whitefly that only attacks ficus. We are having a huge problem in s fla with them. Benjamina get them BAD. They must be treated preventatively to control them properly.

9. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

wow just looked it up ...great another headache for pcos in s fla

10. RoyalTree

RoyalTree LawnSite Member

The ficus whitefly is always causing havoc around these parts the last couple of years.

The new gumbo limbo white fly as i believe it is called is different. So far we have only seen it in pockets and not over the whole area like the ficus white fly. The gumbo limbo white fly is 4-5 times the size of the ficus white fly and is very docile and slow. It is however attacking just about everything. I went to a yard yesterday where they had it on cordylines, atleast 10 different palms, birds of paradise and many others. This seems like it will be easier to controll because they dont seem to spread as fast and are easier to notice. They literaly left the whole palms covered in white like the sprayed xmas trees.