White Gardens

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by White Gardens, Apr 28, 2009.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Just keeping this thread alive basically.

So I finally think I'm going to get a little bit of a break. Between doing the paver project late last season, the holidays, and then all the snow and ice, I haven't had much of a winter vacation.

Luckily the weather looks to be turning a little bit. The temps will start hovering around freezing in the next week and it looks like this current shot of brutal cold will be going away. Maybe a small chance or two for a shot of snow, but I'm just glad the sun will be shining for once. Seems to be a rarity this winter.

Did a quick site evaluation the other day and also have another site consult coming up soon. This is on top of my mile long list of things to do in the spring, so hopefully business will be really good this year. I'm hitting my 5 year biz cycle very nicely. Even though I didn't have the growth I wanted to last year, I was still able to up my sales a bit more than the previous year. In an economy such as ours, I'll take it.

Looks like I might also have to hire someone this year in order to keep up with the work load. I'm just hoping to keep growing and then able to sustain my biz.

2. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

You need to update your sig, it says 4 years in business!

3. White Gardens

Good eye Junior, I'll get right on that. Thumbs Up

4. scagmower

scagmower LawnSite Senior Member

Nice work buddy, good luck with your 2010 season!

5. White Gardens

It's been a crazy winter. It just keeps snowing. Two days ago we had a prolonged event that dumped 5 inches.

Today, another 5-8 inches expected into Wednesday. I like plowing snow and making money, but it's starting to get to me. I would really like a normal sleep schedule, and I barely go a week at a time before I go and do it again.

I'd rather be landscaping for sure.

I also want to say that we are lucky for not having the snow issues that they've had out east, even though I'm mildly complaining.

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we got a little more but not enough to plow. at least yet

7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

We've not had much fun with it here either. 2 storms, a foot each, 2 rains that made ice everywhere, with all the little 4" dustings constantly, and wind that create the drifts. I tell myself often that I'm glad I don't do snow plowing.
    Keeping the path open into the woods, and looking forward to sapping. Maple syrup season can start, as early as, a couple of weeks... :)

8. White Gardens

Now that sounds like fun. Funk's Grove is south of Bloomington Il, and it was originally one of the only large groves of trees in the area when the settlers came in and populated the area.

Long story short, the main grove of Maple trees are still there and the Funk family still pulls sap from the trees and sells maple syrup.

9. White Gardens

The Plow truck is dead, repeat, the plow truck is dead.

I'm hoping to find a replacement in the next 3 days.

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Plowing, really beats the heck out of trucks. Hope you find what you need in time.

We got about 5 inches, and all we did was roll over the top. The drifts, along the woods, are there real challenge.