White Gardens

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by White Gardens, Apr 28, 2009.

1. J & D Greens

J & D Greens LawnSite Senior Member

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I've been solo for 5 years now. I've done all the work myself. The only time I used any help was for the paver sidewalk and I paid out 30 hours of labor for that between two guys. Everyone asks me if I do it myself or not and they are usually fairly surprised when I tell them I do it myself. I've just tried to be as efficient and expedient as possible when doing my work. Part of the reason for the machine is to keep my labor costs down, and anyone I hire this year will be on a part-time, need be bases. I've already got one guy lined up to help and he is OK with that. Even in this thread there is still one or two bigger jobs that I've done that I didn't post pics.

Post a link to your thread J & D, I'd like to take a look at what you do.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  3. J & D Greens

The only 2 threads I started so far was to introduce my self and the one on working on my trailer. I'll pm you the link as I would not want to take away from your thread. Thanks David

4. White Gardens

No biggie. Even though this thread is mine, it's still a public forum.

So here is the S600TX, and trailer that I picked up this week. The trailer was 800 from a guy in Chicago and I took a quick day trip up there to get it. Took about 2.5 hours each direction. The only thing that sucked was that I had to drive the beast up there to get it as that morning the trailer was on e-bay and the guy had 5 calls in the first two hours. I wasn't going to pass it up.

As a side note, it's May 9th and we have a frost advisory for tonight into Sunday morning. April 15th is our average last frost. Makes me wonder if we are going to have another cool wet summer.

vermeer.jpg

vermeer.jpg

5. J & D Greens

We have had a lot of good weather with a day or two mixed in at around 28-30 degrees. but fortunately the weather has been mild in the way or snow or rain that was for-casted to hit the area.

Everything is so green and lush, I have asked a few costumers permission to take some pictures of their properties for a future web site, and I'll try to post them so you can see them. Mind you I only cut their grass, some one else did their garden plans and such. But these and what I see you guys doing has me wanting to take some courses in landscape design, so that eventually I can have two crews running under us (me and my wife) one landscape and one maintenance.

It is a lot of work to do solo and make any money at it. I think hire a crew at some point only makes sense.

6. J & D Greens

By the way nice find on the S600tx.

7. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Looks great!

Got any plans to do anything to the trailer?

8. White Gardens

Ya, probably just wire-wheel it and use a two-part epoxy paint (what I used on the dump bed) on it and paint it black. I also need to re-paint the rims.

It will be on the back-burner though as I've got other stuff to do for the time being though.

9. Caterkillar

Caterkillar LawnSite Senior Member

How much did you pay for the vermeer? Also since it saves you labor cost, does that mean you bill the machine as an additional man hour/laborer?

10. White Gardens

9500, with 450 hours on it. I know that there is cheaper units out there, but this one has the best dump height and power out of all the machines that I tested. That and it came from the dealer as one of their rentals, so I know the service record of it. I've actually lined up a mini backhoe attachment for it also for a heck of a deal and it will come in handy digging footers for retaining walls, and light landscaping work around houses. Eventually I want to buy some green-mats to put down in order to not tear up lawns.

I also now have the option to buy mulch in bulk now, so that should cut out half my mulch bills every year.

No, I don't charge extra as a laborer, but I charge for the equipment usage like I would any machine that I use on-site. Be it be a machine I own or rent. When it comes to hand-held equipment I charge accordingly per man hour to adjust for the efficiency of said equipment.

I know I took a small shot at you in this thread Killar, but I honestly felt slighted by the thread in the Landscaping section. I appreciate all comments and opinions, and try not to take things personally.