White Gardens

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by White Gardens, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

mud season oh joy

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Tell me about it, it sucks. The last year and a half has been horrible trying to do any major work.

3. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I feel ya on that rain, we've been soaked good for about the last week or so.

4. jeffslawnservice

jeffslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I had a quick question about the installation you are working on. How tall are the Alberta Spruces going to be when you plant them. I have been looking for some that are 4-5 feet tall but can only find ones that are 2-3 feet tall.

5. White Gardens

Probably 2-3 feet. It's hard to find them any bigger than that at the nurseries.

One time I needed to find mature fully grown shrubs for a job and I called around to a couple of older nurseries in the area and they usually have them in their fields. So, after paying an arm and a leg, the used a trees spade and balled a burlap them for me.

So if you need to find larger ones I would call around until you found them.

6. White Gardens

Well, guess what, rain. Go figure.

The day before yesterday it finally dried out enough to get some work done. I had 4 tree rings to install and a small area of a landscape to fix at a property. After that I got over to the current install to cut out the trench for the brick edging. It was a long day, about 12 hours or so.

Yesterday I got all but 5 feet of the edging installed before the rain set in, and of course it's raining today. Luckily the next week looks better for the weather as the temps might get high enough that I'll actually have to wear shorts for the first time this year, and there are only slight chances of rain. If the weather holds out I'll be pretty darn busy the next two weeks.

I really like this block for edging. It's a Paveloc Bravado paver. The only thing I don't like is the efflorescence that comes out of the block as you can see in the pic. Otherwise the size and shape is good for doing curves.

edge5.jpg

edge5.jpg

7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Nice.........

8. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Nice, I've always kinda liked block style edging better than plastic or whatever else. It only looks good if its packed good and whatnot though it seems like. Looks like you did a good job though.

9. White Gardens

The blocks are set in Type S mortar, so they aren't moving. I used 6.5, 80 lb. bags.

That's the key to any block edging is setting them in some sort of mortar or concrete.

10. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

Nice,that edging looks really nice,great job.