1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

White Gardens

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by White Gardens, Apr 28, 2009.

1. 2brothersyardcare

2brothersyardcare LawnSite Silver Member

hate to be the bearer of bad news but why is it slanted down?

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Ha! Oh young one, It's not.:laugh:

It's perfectly level. The sloping grade is throwing you off, that and the fence is following the grade. The only way to correct that is if I used optical refinement to visually get it looking flat, but I'd rather have a level wall than an un-level wall just to make it look visually good.

3. 2brothersyardcare

2brothersyardcare LawnSite Silver Member

i was looking at the pavers lol what kind are they i never got a response on fb

4. White Gardens

Hmmmm. Must have missed that comment on FB.

Ya, when you look at the pavers it does look slanted, but again it's the fence that throws off the perception. I've actually had a handful of people ask me if there was a slope on them or not because of that reason.

Next time I'm out there I might throw a level on it to confirm that I did it right. The sloping comments have bugged me a bit as I try to be a perfectionist.

Also, you can see the pavers on the ledge and they look tilted slightly forward and actually that was done on purpose to get the water to run forward and off the wall.

The pavers are a Whitacre/Grier clay paver. #32 and #33.

5. White Gardens

Before Photos are on this page. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=272897&page=3

We were working on a property just next door and I decided to go over and check out how this backyard has turned out over the last few years.

Since the original installation, the homeowners took out the pool and installed a small patio in that area themselves. Overall the back-yard looks pretty good. I'm glad the colors came together well.

The silver mound could have been planted another 6 inches or so from the walk, but over-all they're spaced pretty good. I really like that silver color and how it breaks up the rock and softens it up.

Vicki4b.jpg

Vickie6b.jpg

Vickie7b.jpg

Vickie8b.jpg

Vicki4b.jpg

Vickie6b.jpg

Vickie7b.jpg

Vickie8b.jpg

6. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Watch out for the dog in the 3rd pic!

What kind of ornamental grass is that? Almost looks like purple fountain grass but without the poofy flowers. Are they hardy there?

Looks good

7. White Gardens

Yes, watch out for that little thing. :laugh:

Ruby Ribbons Switch grass.

8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

What? No Mortar?

9. White Gardens

4" footer of 6000 psi concrete with 3/8 re-bar. The first course was then set in type-S mortar. The voids were then filled with more 6000 psi concrete. The original ledge stood for 100+ years and I plan on this one to be there for 100+ years. That and the wall was only two courses and a cap. I didn't want any flex or movement over time.

Due to industry standards, snap edging was used for the paver restraint. I have seen mortar restraint on paver sidewalks fail at the edges as it doesn't allow the edges to move and float with the rest of the sidewalk.

Single brick edging always gets set in mortar to create a "curb" without the look of curb edging. It allows the edging to stay in place, and also a barrier to keep grass from encroaching into the beds.

10. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Say no mortar?
    The grade is all wrong looks like all the water is going to run towards garage instead away from thing going make problem with seal plate