1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

white grub damage

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by crownls, Apr 14, 2006.

1. crownls

crownls LawnSite Member

have a customer with 1/4 acre lot. Front yard received some serious grub damage. About 1/3rd of lawn is dead and peeling back. He wants me to rip it all up and leave bare soil. He wants to reseed himself. Will renting a dethatcher work well for this or should I just do this the ole fashion way i.e. steel rake. Thanks
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

from the experience i just had with a dethatcher trying to dethatch lawns, that won't work for what you are trying to do IMO.....
  3. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

A dethatcher probably would be more trouble than its worth. For that sized area you could have it half done with a rake by the time you unloaded and started up a machine.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

depends on the type of dethatcher. I have two that are EZ-Rakes. These have spring loaded tines that spin, and spin fast. They are arranged in like a spiral pattern so that all the ground is covered as they spin. If you can find something like this, it would help. The slitseeder knife type) generally doesn't pull that much up to actually clean it off. I have found the the JRCO rake actually does well on this, also.
  5. crownls

crownls LawnSite Member

thanks guys, guess its just gonna have to be a rake & a wheel-barrow