White Grub Question.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tennissippi, Jan 18, 2004.

1. tennissippi

tennissippi LawnSite Member
    from zone 7b

This past fall my lawn sustain damage from white grubs(my fault cause I did not treat preventatively). The grubs ate on 2,000 sq ft of turf. I treated my Hybrid bermudagrass lawn with dursban(8oz/K) and followed up 2 weeks later with Dylox 6.3G(3#/K). This winter I have been aggressively top dressing the damaged areas with sand as well as the low areas in my lawn.

My questions are:

1. Do you think the Bermdagrass will recover in the areas that
    were damaged.

2. When(what month) would you treat your lawn for grubs. I
    know they usually overwinter in the 3rd instar and I would
    like to get them before they begin to actively feed.

Last year was the first time I have ever dealt with White Grubs so I'm a little shady on this issue. I would like to hear back from some of you guys who have experience dealing with them.

2. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Tenn,

Apply 1 lb 21-0-0 AS in the spring when you see green-up. Get a jump start on the turf. You might consider sprigging some new Bermuda depending on how extensive the damage is.

For preventative control, try applying Merit or Mach 2. Check the label for application timing in your area. More than likely your looking at a late May thru early July time frame.

3. John B Laidlaw

John B Laidlaw LawnSite Member

There are several varieties of grub that manifest at specific times of the year. For example: Japanese Beetle emerges from the ground around 4th of July up here in PA.
    Generally, the temps of the soil will dictate when grubs begin to rise. Mach2 is great as it is fert as well as an insecticide. Use it when the ground really begins to warm up. Also, you can test for a variety of insects by pouring a small amount of water and detergent( NO BLEACH!!) on the periphery of good turf and damaged turf. This acts as an irritant(sp) and the bugs flee. Just watch the ground for about thirty seconds-- thats all it takes. No harm from detergent as it is the phosphate that makes them run. For grubs, just dig down a bit to find them or if the turf just lifts up. Here an infestation is 12+ grubs per square foot.

Sprigs of bermuda will speed up coverage but bermuda is such an invasive grass that it may cover in a fairly short period-- depends on exposure. The hotter the faster it will cover. Watch ferting w/ to much nitrogen-- it can burn bermuda in a heart beat.