White grubs,, Adam

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cantoo, Apr 8, 2000.

1. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

hey Adam, are you guys having any problems with white grub yet? I bid a job in Goderich on Thursday, man what a mess. The Town is trying to come up with solutions but the Drs. are pushing no chemical solutions so not sure what is going to happen. i would guess that up tp 50% of the lawns are affected. the Weed Man is going to be making a killing there. I am setting up some equipment to redo lawns but won't be ready with it all until next year. I already have my licence to spray but with so many whiners it's going to be rough. One solution is to apply insecticides with the fertilizer but you still have to sign the property. You should drive over to Goderich and take a look sometime, there may be extra dollars for you in Stratford if you spray for them. Tkae some pics in Goderich to show your customers what could happen.

2. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Cantoo thanks for the ideas!Well those doctors are going one step further.Now they are putting flyers in everyones mail.I'm not very concerned!I'm not in to spraying and don't want to be.The only thing I don't like is that if they ban spraying my awsome looking jobs will go to pot!I get the weedman to spray all my propertys.It works out great!He refers business to me and I do likewise.I for now just want to concentrate on lawn mowing and snow removal.So where are you located?I am well aware of godrich.I go there about 2-4 times a year for family picnic's.We love that city.Have you ever been to stratford?Oh ya!We last year had a bad year for grubs too!The worst year I have ever seen.I the city passes this law I will laugh so hard if all the people you got the law passed had grubs wipout the lawn!!!!!I will talk some more tomorow.I'm in a wedding pary today and I have to fly!!!See ya later :)<p>from:Adam<p>AB Lawn Care

3. cantoo

Adam, I have only been to Stratford a couple of times, we go to Kitchener and London most often. We're just north of Goderich along the lake. I don't plan on doing much spraying either but I made a front mount sprayer for my Walker so I will do a few jobs with it.

4. kermit

kermit LawnSite Member

Guys, You don't need a spraying licence if you use nematodes. They work as well as MERIT and you can charge a good dollar for the work.Contact the Environmental Factor in Oshawa for prices etc. By the way you won't poison yourself or others if you use nematodes. Watch chemical controls disappear in the next couple of years in Ontario. Nepean (Ottawa) has banned Merit on pulic property this year.

5. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Kermit-I have 2 questions for you.Where are you located in ontario???And you said that nematodes are not harmful and that you do not need a licence.Is nematodes used for insect control(grubs or others)or is it used for weeds?If you could answer that for me I would be very thankful!<p>from:Adam<p>AB Lawn Care

6. kermit

kermit LawnSite Member

Adam, I'm located in Merrickville, about 45 minutes south of the nations capitol, on the Rideau River system. Nematodes are small worms which invade grubs, fleas and other pests and use them as hosts for their eggs. I don't spray chemicals and nematodes work just as well as Merit. Check out the warnings in companyliterature about Merit getting into water and you'll see why I don't want to spray Merit anywhere near water.<br>I'm a long time member of Landscape Ontario (check out their web address for membership benefits) and encourage others to join for the networking benefits alone.

7. dylan

dylan Member
    from Ontario

I was in Merrickville just yesterday. Nice to see some more local people on this site. I'm from Arnprior, just west of Ottawa. <br>I plan on using nematodes this summer.

8. cantoo

They are trying nematodes in Goderich this year, I went to my pesticides course with a girl who will be doing the work. Do any of you know the cost Can$ and where I could get them? I think the money is actually in renovating the lawns and leaving the control to other people for the next couple of years. Everybody and his brother is wanting to spray but only a few want to do the seeding work.

9. kermit

kermit LawnSite Member

Nematodes run around 20 bucks wholesale for enough to do 2000 sq feet. If you are doing renovations you can add this to the service to increase profits. They can be srayed by just about any known methods including back pack sprayer. Get more info at Environmental Factors web page. I'll post more when I drag the info in from the truck, right now it's snowing and blowing and I'm too lazy to go out in it.

10. kermit

kermit LawnSite Member

Found the address for nematodes, it's www. natural-insect-control.com I talked to these guys at the Canada Blooms show a few weeks ago and discussed the Organic Landscape Association, seems like a good idea to me. Not willing to be a guinea pig for the big chemical companies I won't spray. After studying for the pesticide licence ten years ago I realized the chemicals were much more dangerous than I had been led to believe. If you don't believe it perhaps you still think that DDT was a good idea. Use your heads. I've seen farmers with pesticide poisoning and it's not pretty. Stay away from chemicals or you'll end up like Lawrence Stone.