1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

White hydro wheel motor needed

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Stonewall, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 96 Scag walkbehind SWZ 48-14KH (ser. # 13350060) with a slight leak on the right wheel motor. My mechanic told me I have a little slack in the wheel and the bearings are probably worn and it caused the seal to give out. It turns out that you can't buy bearings for the White wheel motor, but you can get a seal kit. My mechanic suspects now that the race the bearings fit in is worn and a seal kit would do no good. Any ideas on this? What's the possibility of getting an used wheel motor? It runs pretty good right now. Maybe I'll have to run it until it dies. I would hate to spring for a $500 wheel motor. Just put a new engine on it.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You may want to contact White about a bearing, Although I didn't see a bearing listed in their parts break-down they still may be able to help you.

You do have the RS motor according to Scag.

Also, Raise the leaking side up and wiggle the wheel watching closely at the wheel hub and shaft. I have seen more worn hubs and keys than motor bearings.

Good Luck
  3. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks. I'll check.