White pine fungus???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by KenH, Nov 3, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Have a customer with 2 white pines, 8'tall. Inner branches are black (like someone painted or burned them), and there is a black thick powder on some of the needles, almost like mascera. This rubs off. Some branches are dying back a bit. I have never seen this on pines before.....any ideas???

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

any cankers on the branches or on the trunk?
    Could be white pine blister rust,but without seeing it I can't really say for sure.

3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I looked today for some cankers, none present. Some of the needles look like black pipe cleaners. That is how fuzzy they are.

4. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Probably has scale insects and the black fungus is sooty mold growing on the honeydew excreted by the scales.

5. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Phil is probably closer, needles won't look like that with blister rust.

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Ken,

Here is a quote from this site.

WHITE PINE BLISTER RUST

"Spores produced on the undersides of infected Ribes leaves are wind blown to white pine needles during cool, wet periods from July to October. During the next twelve to eighteen months, the fungus grows within the needle, into the twig, and enters the branch. A canker, swollen resinous lesion, develops and continues to grow as long as the branch remains alive. Yellowed needles on infected branches are observed early in the infection period. If a canker girdles a branch, the movement of water and nutrients is blocked and the branch dies from that point outward. "

7. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Good info gopher.