white powder on street

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 7, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

hey guys, ive been seeing this white stuff along the edge of the curb along the street at some of my accounts. when we blow off walkways it turns into a dust bowl and i have been coughing alot. someone told me this is something that remains from draining a swimming pool, and i guess hes right cus its always the people that have a pool that have this stuff at the curb. he also said that its extremely dangerous to breath this stuff. anyone know what it is and if its really that poisonous? thanks

2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Im going on a long shot here, but in my neighborhood there reduing all the sidewalks, or part of them. When one of the workers used his saw to cut into the street it made a white power and it would blow like your describing. I would let the rain wash away the chemical or whatever it may be. Don't risk anything.

3. logjammer

logjammer LawnSite Member

It is diatemacious earth or however it is spelled. It is crushed up shells and is used as a filtering agent, similar to how sand is used. My parents have an pool and when they are done cleaning it they flush the system out and they white dust is left on the street.

Jeff

4. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

blacktopping companys some times use powdered lime to put over the ac/20 (asphalt cement) that they use on all joint and curbs.the lime is used to keep car tires from picking it up and tracking it on driveways also used in the intresections and starts and finish points of paving.this ac/20 is 350degrees very hot when put down and lime cools it and makes it hard instead of goyee.

5. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

One of my customers go on vacation for most of the summer thay just got back and opened thier pool, I asume thay drained it on the lawn becasue its a dust bowl and there was the white stuff.
    I assume the lawn will be dead soon from all the clorine. Could this be what the white power is? something else? and how bad exactly is it to breath in? I know I inhaled some, I was there on thurs & friday doung a cleanup/cut/trimming/beds, I still feel fine except a little sick but that could be from staying in a cottage for the weekend on a old couch and having a hangover.