white powder subtance on tips of grass blades any ideas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smcunningham, Apr 14, 2007.

1. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

went to mow a customer this afternoon and noticed a white tint to the grass........so i walk onto the turf and look at the grass and the tips of every blade of grass has a white powdery residue..............yes a fert and squirt comnpany services this property also but they were there on monday and today is friday....and it rained cats and dogs since then.........what could they applied that would still leave this residue even after the rain......also noticed that all the tips of the grass looked burnt..when got right down and looked real close 2 the tips.i mowed the property last week with a sharp set of blades first lawn i cut after the sharpening of them actually..so what do you all think???????????????????:confused: :confused:

held off on mowing it today untill I get everyones opinions will take some pics...if needed/requested

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It is powdery mildew.

3. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

agree with powdery mildew. The weather conditions here in Carroll Co. ,cool & damp are probably the culprit. Wait for the sunshine and 60 degrees to come at the end of next week or apply fungicide. I'm not an expert though just my experience. Is the property mostly shaded?

4. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

Since it has rained it might be the salt in the rain left over after it has dried or powdery mildew.
    VO

5. smcunningham

the property is full sun all day long, only shade is from house.

6. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

has it frosted there in the past week? it has frosted here almost every morning in the past week and almost all my accounts have the white tips. i know its not the blades as we change them all the time.

7. smcunningham

yeah i think it has frosted in the past week.......