White Residue on grass blades(link to pics)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sandwedgeking, Apr 25, 2012.

1. sandwedgeking

sandwedgeking LawnSite Member

Applied 19-0-0 w/.10% Dimension Crabgrass Control last Thursday (4/19). The following Monday (4/23) got a call from a customer saying it looked as though someone sprayed white marking paint or spray paint to areas of the lawn. I thought she was crazy, but when I got there I saw what she was talking about.

Although subtle, tips of grass had white powdery residue in areas of the lawn. Looked at a few others I fertilized and they all had a little here and there. Next door neighbors do not have it.

There is no shade on any of these and the weather has been in the 50s during the day, upper 30s at night. It did rain the afternoon and evening following the application - about one inch. I couldn't imagine it is Powdery Mildew...just not the right environmental conditions.

The first few pics are from the lawn I did, but whilst out walking the dog, saw another lawn in a different part of town that I don't maintain had the same thing but much more noticeable. Snapped some additional photos.

The fertilizer wasn't dusty and I clean the spreader every other day. Has anyone seen this before?

http://s1163.photobucket.com/albums/q554/sandwedgeking/

2. Dbry12

Dbry12 LawnSite Member

Does it wipe off easily? It does look like powdery mildew but im still learning and dont know every disease.

3. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

That look's like a slime mold. And that doesn't hurt the grass. But, you just fertilized. You had a heavy rain afterward, but the temperature's aren't conducive for fungus. But something is going on there. What's the humidity like ? What part of the country is that ? Do those area's have restricted air flow ?

4. sandwedgeking

sandwedgeking LawnSite Member

The stuff flakes right off. There is no damage to the leaf - the blades are green. This is in Green Bay, WI. Humidity is low and has been. Temps are a bit below normal for this time of year. All these lawns are wide open, in direct sunlight.

5. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

That's beyond what i know. If you really want to know what that is, have a fungal pathologist at your state university identify that for you. They will probably do that for free. That is the kind of thing that get's those guy's excited.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I think I have seen it before from time to time. Yes, it is from the fertilizer, but I think it is probably due to wetting and drying of the foliage and fertilizer granules--condensation of dew most likely, but frost could be involved. No problem, it will disappear in a few days. Or you can water it to wash the residue off the grass blades.
    A rare happening...conditions have to be just right.

7. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think your application had anything to do with the problem your seeing.
    As Agrostis said it looks like Slime Mold. I would agree. An inch of rain, excessive thatch, prolonged leaf dampness and poor drainage could cause it to develop. It will most likely clear up on it's own. JMO

8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Im with this guy
    I have had it happen to me few times
    Always after Lawns been fertilized most time when run out the good stuff have buy some cheaper stuff
    Proscape Mesa I normaly use its doesnt show up only I use Ag dusty Fert shows up Like Riggle said conditions have be just right
    Think The vapor off the Fert does it and notice more during cool weather

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012