White Smoke-Help!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by pokerbrat, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I'd also mark that red can with the word diesel to make sure that never happens again, and have her smell them both side by side so she can learn the difference in smell for herself firsthand. It's the best way to remember a lesson. Glad you got it all sorted out.

2. pokerbrat

pokerbrat LawnSite Member

I did one better, I wrote "Diesel" all over it and then wrapped the spout with yellow electrical tape.

This whole thing started a debate with a friend of mine. He says it is illegal to put diesel in anything but a yellow can. My feeling (from personal experience) is that it is a stupid thing to do, but isn't illegal. Both containers are made of the same material, just a different color.

Anyone know the law?

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

There was a thread on this either earlier this year, or at the end of last year here. I know it's supposed to be illegal here in MI, but I couldn't find that statute on MDOT's website. Many of the stations here have stickers on the pumps that say it is illegal to put the wrong fuel into the wrong colored container though.

4. pokerbrat

Will have to look at that thread. That would just be the strangest law. But I guess the gov. likes to protect us from ourselves! :D

5. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate to waste money, too, but it seems for the price of a plastic can you'd be better off to buy one the right color for your fuel.

6. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

I have a wright stander with a 17hp 750 hours. It blows white smoke for the first 30 seconds. Is that ok?

7. pokerbrat

Will,

How much white smoke and is it only doing it while you have the choke engaged?