White smoke

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TJLC, Jan 4, 2001.

1. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

When I start up my exmark w/b's sometimes they pour white smoke out of the exuast,lasting about maybe 3-5 mins. The older one and newer one both do this. It seems to only happen on cold starts. Is this normal or something I really need to have checked out?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I see you are from Florida. This is probably just a normal exhaust that we see up here in the cold all the time, but since your not used to it being cold, you haven't noticed it before. I have heard it is abnormally cold down there. You should see the exhaust from an engine at 15 to 20 below zero on a calm day. They look like they are on fire. :)

3. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks, Eric. Yes it is very cold down here right now. I forgot to mention that a little oil also comes out with the white smoke. I see it on the belt cover.

4. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

Are you sure that its oil?

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It is normal for one lungers to belch some smoke when they start up if the oil is a little overfull or if the mower is stopped with the carb side of the engine lower than the other side. I would only be concerned if there was a black oil deposit on the aircleaner or the engine smoked all of the time.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It may look like oil, but it's probably just condensation. They spit alot of water in the morning cold.

7. carlsmower

carlsmower LawnSite Member

try changing the oil and the spark plug, that should take care of the problem, it's solved it for me everytime i've encounter it