White tips at the end of the grass ????? PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by KcLawnServices, Mar 26, 2006.

1. KcLawnServices

KcLawnServices LawnSite Member

I gave a lady a bid today and I noticed that her grass had white tips..What could this be, has anybody seen this before ? Thanks

2. nephilim0167

nephilim0167 LawnSite Member

dull blades?

3. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

is it the tip of the grass itself that is white or could there be fungal growth or mold on the tips?

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'd have to see it. Are the tips all rough and torn looking? If so, it is just from dull blades. If not, it could be powdery mildew.

5. KcLawnServices

It is the tip of the grass itself

6. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

could be grey snow mold, usually in the winter and early spring. greyish circle patterns. Give more details if you have time.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Honestly (and no offense intended), my first suspicion is this:
    http://www.ipm.msu.edu/CAT03_land/L04-04-03.clippers.htm

If not, then...
    Did you guys:

- Have a spell where snow remained on the ground for a while? More than a week, say 2-4 weeks minimum.
    - Did the leaves stay on the grass until at least January or February, providing a solid cover?
    - Have a pretty wet winter and the yard is mostly shade / lots of trees?

Reason I ask is, the above could promote the growth of certain types of mold.
    But, I did not find a type of mold affects only the tips... Not to say it doesn't exist, just a google.

8. johngreen

johngreen LawnSite Member
    from iowa

This may be mildew. Itusually appears on the grass tips and is usually found in areas of a lawn that the sun does not dry out early in the day. I do not think it causes any damage to the lawn and it should go away when it warms up.

9. KcLawnServices

It is fresh sod so it cant be dull blades

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

How tall is it? A few of my st. augustine accnts will get white just at the tips when it gets to 6'' or more...