Who accepts credit cards?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by rmmllc, Jan 2, 2008.

1. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

How many of you accept credit cards? Do you really find it helps as far as more business and getting paid on time? What company do you use to process? I would like to accept cards via my yet-to-be-constructed website, any thoughts about that from someone who does already? I don't know how many of my 60 or so clients would pay via card since they are already paying fine by check and I don't want to part with 1.75-3% if I can help it, plus the monthly fees. I am planning on expanding this year (hopefully about double what I have now) and I also do aerating and power raking in the spring and fall (one time services). Let me know what you do. Thanks guys---

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

We have for several years now. I don't know that it gets us that much more business, but it is great for cash flow. More than half of our fert. clients pre-pay for the season. When people have late pay issues, we just ask them to give us a card # and bill everything automatically.

3. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

Good idea about the late payers. I have some chronic late payers- but hey, it is good Christmas money if you can collect...

4. TREEGUARD

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

We just starting credit cards in august but it's another payment option. Alot of people have asked me over the years but i figured it's about time to try & it seems to be working the customers that have paid with credit cards tell us to go ahead & bill them every month & that's fine with me because i hate to have to chase people for money.

If your thinking of expanding your biz i think you should give it a try for at least 1 year that's what i'm doing hopfully next season we can get more to use it.

5. horseman201

horseman201 LawnSite Member

Looked into it a few years ago. Was not sure it was worth all the fees the credit card companies charge. Looked at doing it through PayPal and the same thing with them with fees. Just thinking out loud, Paypal might be a good idea if you are just wanting to get your money from your late payers.

6. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

Credit cards is the only way to go if you have a supply yard and a landscaping business. We did about 100k in credit cards this year and it it was worth every penny not having to chase people down and get a check. Also when we went out collecting money from people that were behind, it help bring several accounts current. I would say just put it on a cc, because everyone has a couple of them. It works several time and helped me collect 3k this week alone.

7. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

Good point. "Just put it on the card"- that's probably why they can't pay cash, but as long as you get paid, let them work out their monthly payment. Then I will be contacting them to buy their home before it goes to auction (I invest in foreclosures). In fact, one of my lawn clients that owes me is now in foreclosure and I am going to call to see if he wants to do a short sale on his house- I'll tell him I'll waive the lawn charges if he sells me his house... now I am rambling. It must be late.
    Tell me about your FUSO- good truck? Do you like the engine? Is it a 4 and is it powerful enough?

8. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

I use Paypal for late payers, but more and more people are asking for CC as payment, so I may choose to use a service this year. Paypal works fine, tho, and with it you can pay via your bank account or cc, or even through paypal payments so for the customer it's a good option, IMHO.

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I looked into it also and at the time it was a lottle pricey,

not sure who u guys are doing it, I simpley went to my bank,