1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Who answers your phone?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by cochino12, Sep 7, 2004.

1. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

For all the 1 man or real small crews, who answers your phone? I was calling around recently to gather information about the local competition and was shocked at how many people DONT answer the phone. I figure I can pick up some real business once my ad in the book comes out simply because other business owners werent around to let their customers spend money with them.

2. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Secertary/Book Keeper answear the phones from 9am-5pm

3. Dwan

Dwan LawnSite Member

I am the last one in the book and I transfer my office phone to my cell. I always answer the phone unless I am talking to a customer or it is a safety concern, then the cell voice mail will get it. I have been told several times that I was the only one that answered when customers were calling so I got the job. Communication with your customers is one of the most important aspects of the job. You need to answer your own phone to get the work, not an answering service or a recorder but you. if you don't believe me then get call waiting and see how many calls you miss.
    Nothing anyone hates worse then talking to a damm machine.
    When I leave the state on vacation I still take my cell and answer all calls. it may cost me but I have made thousands well on vacation by scheduling work for when I get back.
    Because I answer the phone my customers think they are special to me, and by God they are.

4. cochino12

I couldnt agree with you more, I guess I was wondering if you can always hear/feel your phone ring when you are mowing etc.. I dont ever want to rely on a potential customer leaving a vm, I wouldnt leave on in their posistion but I guess sometimes that may be the only way to do it (with a one person crew).

5. Dwan

Dwan LawnSite Member

I use a set of Bose noise canceling head phones then put the cell phone ear bud under them. This way I can hear the phone ring. I do need to stop any noise to talk but it has been worth it. As far as mowing I don't do much of that but I am uasualy setting in a bobcat, excivator or driving my dump truck.

Dwan

6. cochino12

Thats a great idea, why didnt I think of that :dizzy: . Thanks for the tip, that is exactly what I am going to do.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

What do a set of those Bose headphones cost a fella?

8. Dwan

Dwan LawnSite Member

$299 But well worth it if you concider hearing aids cost between $1500 and $3500 each
    http://www.bose.com
    [​IMG]

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'll admit I never answer the phone. I just call my voice mail a lot during the day to check for messages. Most of the calls I get now are referrals, they always leave a message. And I always return calls the same day, I don't think people mind leaving a message so much as there are a lot of companies that don't return calls very well.

10. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

Personally, I hate leaving messages. I'd much rather talk to a real person, so I understand why it's important to answer as many calls as you can. My phone has caller id, so I check it every time I get back into the truck.

During the spring or whenever I'm advertising, I try to keep the phone with me so I can personally answer as many calls as possible. This past year, I had lots of hang-ups when someone would get my voice mail. I think they probably just called the next number listed in the paper. It made me understand that I'm not the only one who hates answering machines.
    I like the idea of the noise canceling headphones, not only does it save your hearing, it also lets you answer all your calls. Great idea! :)