Who are these guys!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tjcezar, Apr 28, 2003.

1. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

It seems like I have been doing lots of work for nothing these days! I keep giving estimate after estimate and not getting the work. I try to keep my pricing at a fair range but am also trying to start a legitimate business with shop, trucks, proper equipment and people who do quality work. When I bid a lawn for what should cost $35-40, I bid it at $30 to give the people a break and try to get the work and its not good enough. I listen to people posting saying that you should at least get $35 per hr for labor but it just ain't happening around here. What do you charge for mowing time, $60 hr? Yeah RIGHT! Maybe I'm charging too much but what can I charge to stay in business? WHat are some strategies I can use to get the work?:eek:

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

QUIT GIVING PEOPLE A BREAK. Why in the world would you bid a job YOU KNOW to be worth $34-40 at $30? That is just plain stupid. I'm sorry but it is. How are you ever going to get a shop unless you MAKE MONEY.

If you do finally get a contract off one of those estimates you'll be complaining that you should be getting more money. It'll be your own fault. Just bid em like you see them and roll on, if you get it FINE, if you don't FINE.

SHEEEEEESH.

Some of you guy's bring these troubles on yourselves. And I swear I think some of you just post without thinking through what you're actually saying. I guess, what to get your stupid post count up???? Post count has NOTHING to do with wisdom or good advice or experience for that matter.

Quit being so negative. Just get out there and do the best possible job you can do on every single yard you have and then put out some quality fliers, and let your work speak for itself.

If you still don't get work, put a fresh coat of paint on something, get a uniform, update your flier, wax your truck, wax your trailer, clean something, put out more fliers.........................................

Go ahead and flame me for coming on strong, I got my Kevlar suit on. But remember everything I said was the truth.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

T.J.,

This is a JOKE....right?

I'm almost ashamed to share your initials with you! :(

I'm not going to comment, because I think this post is to mock other members posts about lowball pricing.

Am I right, or do you actually NEED advice? :confused:

4. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Green Pastures;He only has 17 posts so go easy on the poor guy.Green Pastures is right in all that he stated.As far as pricing you have to price for YOUR area not everyone on Lawnsite.Some of these folks( not trying to offend here) price some services high for in my area and others are low so price to what your market can bear and don't shortchange yourself by bidding extremely low.I have bid some jobs close because they opened other doors later but you had better know the angles before doing something like this or you'll lose your butt.

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I guess I was a bit hard on the guy, look I'm sorry, but this is really not that hard. Besides if your skin is so thin that my little rant up there hurt your feelings, this is NOT the business for you. Stop and think about your goals, develop a PLAN to reach them in a reasonable time frame and DO NOT GIVE UP till you get there.

You cannot make money without sticking to your guns when it comes to pricing. There are plenty of people out there who will USE you and try and trick you into coming down on pricing and if you do you'll regret it once you see that garage open and the brand new Lexus back out. Find neighborhoods that have nice homes and get in there and walk fliers to every single house, every other weekend. You won't get a call for months sometimes, but once you get that first $300,000 home do your best and work on making their lawn look better than their neighbors.... then work on getting the neighbor. Easy as pie, you just have to be positive and persistent.

I'll tell you what I did when I first started, I'm kind of ashamed of it now that I know better. But I didn't know about Lawnsite back then. I had nobody to ask any questions of. One of the "qualities" I think you need as a "businessman" is some initiative, self motovation, the ability to figure things out for yourself. This site is great for knowledge, but sometimes you just need to tough it out on your own. I called every single lawn maintenance ad in the yellow pages and asked for the free estimate, got them all in writing and averaged tham all out and went from there. I measured out my own yard, determined the sq footage and how long it took me to mow trim and blow and priced it according to the average of the 6 estimates I got.

Then I printed up a zillion fliers and started walking. I still walk fliers, and I probable for another 10 years, it works for me, why fix what aint broken? :D

Pray alot too.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

listen to the greenman, he knows his stuff

7. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

I heard some good advice in there. Sometimes you just gotta vent so I ain't worried about those couple of harsh statements. :)

8. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Green Pastures;did the exact same thing.Moved from a large city to a rural town and couldn't get work.Went to the phone book and got estimates on a friends yard and learned that what I was charging in Ohio was about 20% more than what I could in N.C. so I had to adjust my prices to be competitve.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Don't Go Into a 20 dollar Area And Expect To Get 30 Dollars.
    John

10. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Green Pastures is right on. TJ...whereabouts in PA are you? That may explain things.