Who are they worried about??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by upidstay, Apr 29, 2006.

1. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

In the course of applying pesticides to thousands of residential lawns, in all sorts of neighborhoods to folks from all walks of life, one thing has always bothered me.
    People will ask me "When is it safe for my dog to go on the lawn?". They rarely, almost never, ask me "When is it safe for my KID to go on the lawn?"!!!!!
    I am an animal lover, but if it came to a dog or a kid, sorry Fido.
    Anybody else come across this??:confused:

2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

yep,,,,,
    people, go figure!

3. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

As sad as this sounds we have been in the organic side of this industry for now 20 years. It was the first thing that totally dropped my jaw. It's never changed since.

We actually have this topic in our training class for our staff so that their facial or verbal expressions do not come across to the customer.

I never have figured out why the pets come first.

4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

How many times have you been doing an application when the kids come running out onto the still wet lawn, despite your instructions to keep kids & pets off for at least 1 hr.:hammerhead:

5. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

It's because they are waiting to let the dog back out again , silly

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We were treating a guys yard for grubs. He had them bad. I showed up to apply the Dylox, explained to him about watering it in, and also how it was one of the nastier chemicals out there, and to could he please keep his kids off of the lawn for a couple-3 days. He said OK. The front yard was very small, did that first. When i came back around from the back, I found him watching his 2 kids as they wrestled on the lawn. It was an indian summer, and it was hot. they were in shorts only, no shirts, shoes, nuttin' (they were young boys) Needless to say, these kids were literally COVERED in Dylox granules. I wanted to strangle him. He did keep his dog in the house while I was there...

7. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

My neighbor (who's a client) and I emailed each other about spraying his lawn..I gave a specific date and time along with instructions to keep the kids and the dog off the property for at least 24 hours..

....long story short they allowed the boys to play football in the yard, but were adamant about keeping the dog in the house..

go figure..

8. Chris@CRU

Chris@CRU LawnSite Member

Florida requires, as do most states, a warning sign placed in a conspicuos location whenever ANY pesticide is applied to ANY AREA of the property. To reduce your liability, place a pesticide application warning sign on the property prior to spraying. Any application you perform with a verbal warning is as good as no warning at all in a civil court. Any pesticide supplier will carry signs that are of specification by the state you are in. If a soman can get paid for spilling her hot coffee in her own lap (because it is too hot), a homeowners stupidity will get him rich, and you paying. Better safe than sorry.