who bags commercial jobs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnwright238, Jun 10, 2012.

1. johnwright238

johnwright238 LawnSite Member

I have never seen commercial lawn care guys bagging but after being active on Lawnsite for just a couple of months I gather it happens. I get inquiries about baggers and side dis-charge options on my remote control lawn mowers from time to time and am entertaining the idea of a little R&D on bagging units to show off at the GIE EXPO coming up in October.

What do you guys look for in a bagger?
    Are the pull behind lawn sweepers better or just as good?
    Do most of you guys have certain jobs that require bagging?

Any input would be highly appreciated!

2. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

In terms of commercial work. I have one I bag cause of the amount of trash and one cause of the pedestrian traffic. IMO accelerator catchers work great far as detachable catchers go. Capacity is huge for me, dumping every pass sucks.

3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Each of our crews is equipped with a Turf Tracer with a mulch kit...eliminates the need for bagging. Bagging takes too much time. It's good in the fall for the leaves, but the rest of the year, mulching is the way to go.

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

We're contemplating a similar setup for mowing we do on commercial lots that are part of full grounds maintenance.

As of right now, we are going to try a stihl handheld blower/vac to pick up any small noticeable debris after mowing. I'm thinking it will save time over using grabber sticks to pick up garbage, but still not bog us down with grass clippings.

5. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

our largest is about 12 acres I couldn't imagine it.... it's not a pristine place, just a mining parts manufacturer with 3 larges buildings on a campus with converted cow pastures all around and in-between.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

That would be rough then to try and suck up debris. I'd definitively be mulching first.

Our commercials are smaller and more noticeable, so our method might work out with no problems.

7. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Some type of indicator to when the hopper is full (Walker uses a beeper)

a good impeller system if the hopper is located somewhere other than beside the discharge chute.

Commercial lots, and most residential expect bagging in my area.

8. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

we try to mulch it up within 50' of the buildings just to keep it looking decent, anything beyond that is just discharge and thank goodness the exmarks have a decent throw distance.

Luckily, we don't really have any "high end" commercial, one is a national chain, a couple regional grocers and a few in the mining/construction side.

I've noticed locally that no one really does much bagging on commercial jobs unless they are with 21" push mowers, most of those are in the fast food establishments too.