Who balances blades??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerdave, Aug 20, 2006.

1. never have balanced them, never any problems, kind of a non issue.

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

If you mow wet grass for 5 minutes, you will have grass sticking to them. I'm not talking long clippings but the stuff that gets caked on from the center hole to where the cutting edge starts. Unless you scrape all that stuff off, you will not have a accurately balanced blade. I haven't balanced a blade for a few years, no problems to date, and no vibrations.

3. 2nd Chance

2nd Chance LawnSite Member
    from Texas

If you fellows are not balancing blades you are making a mistake ,it's not a big issue on a blade being turned by a spindle ,but if the blade is being bolted to the engine crankshaft like on a push mower or 21 or whatever you want to call it the blade needs to be balanced . If you don't believe it run unbalanced blades on a 21 inch mower and it won't last long , the first thing that will happen is your crankshaft seal will bite the dust then your main bearings . Any of you guys ever had the harmonic balancer hull out on you while your driving your car or pickup down the road , if that ever happens to you I'll bet you go back to ,or start balancing blades... just my opinion -do it however it turns you on !!

4. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Very well said Third Day...You may not feel It being out of balance...But It Is no good for thr overall well being of your machine...I Have Always spent the extra bit of time to do the job right and thats to ballance...Do you guys that dont ballance your blades have your tires balenced On your trucks or momas car??? The Rpm of those blades are realy flying...In My Own Opinion...Thumbs up for balancing.:usflag: :canadaflag: Cheers All
    Daner

5. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Last I checked when you balance a blade your blanceing the cutting edges not the center where spindle is. Grass cant stick to a blade surface spining at 5000rpms thats imposiable.I see what your saying but that wasnt the statement that was made.

6. DLCS

Last time I checked, from the center hole to just where the cutting edge starts is still part of the blade. Therefore if its not clean of debris, it could throw off the balancing of the blades.

7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

used to have the blades balanced but now just take them off and sharpen them as fast as possible no balancing and i personally cant tell the difference

8. DLCS

I doubt it, cause blades and harmonic balancers are totally different animals and I've never had a problem with unbalanced blades on any of my mowers.
    But I don't run 21" mowers either.;)

9. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

i never did balance mine till i cracked a deck cause of it. and trust me the stick a pen in and if it leans does not work... yes you should really balance them. and sometimes it is a pain to balance them to but it is worth it and the mowers will last longer
    buy a balancer for like 4 to 15.00 bucks and they will save you in the long run.

10. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

and if wondering what deck cracked from this was a exmark zhp 44 inch cut with 400 hours on it.