who blows off fert?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassman69, May 3, 2002.

1. grassman69

grassman69 LawnSite Member

I feel I've found a few niches in my custom fert program that seem to go a long way for quality service. One of these extras I
    include is taking the time to blow off ALL hard surfaces on and around target site w/ handheld or backpack. I do not cut lawn
    and picked this idea up from other cutting crews, but I see a clean jobsite after worth hanging my hat on. I'm just curious how many other LCO's take the few extra minutes? I still have the time in a day to produce 20-25 stops and feel it keeps the competitors away even though I may charge more for quality service.:cool:
  2. wolfpacklawn

wolfpacklawn LawnSite Member

are you serious? This is not an extra in my opinion, if you leave the fert on the concrete its going to leave little stains once the water hits it. Unless you're talking about liquid fert you have to blow off the fert that landed on the concrete.
  3. I clean up after any work. Fert, aeration, mow, etc. Maybe everybody doesn't notice or care, but I do, so the blower is always the last tool loaded.
  4. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto here.
  5. grassman69

grassman69 LawnSite Member

Right on! I'm in a very competitive price market, and find alot of fast food/fast service LCO companies who telemarket/lowball to get the sales. really feel sorry for the tech's who have to fert those slashed sales. a majority of my competion comes from 4-5 other LCO's. Glad they leave their mess behind.
    I didn't think this was an extra either, just a separation.
    I always use granular fert/ liquid weed apps. always double app
    (usually spot treat weeds). thats another separation from the competion. LOL
  6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

What I do is cut, edge, trim, apply fertilizer then blow everything off. I can't see leaving fertilizer on concrete at all and then having to explain to the customer why he or she has stains on their walkway and drive.
  7. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Plus some pet or child could eat whats on the drive or walkways.Have to get rid of it for that reason as well.
  8. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

In Ohio, and I suspect in other states as well, it's AGAINST THE LAW to leave pesticide on the sidewalk. So, if that fert has pesticide in it, and you leave it applied to a "non-targeted" area, you could be fined.

Yes, it's the professional thing to do to blow the crunchies off the sidewalk.
  9. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I clean up as well. Fert., lime etc. left on the walk is hazardous, and not very professional. You're doing the right thing.
    Bill Craig!
  10. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I always blow off.

It's funny though, one of the largest local companies here (an independent) never blows off.