1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who brings the dog

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turf9, Feb 14, 2005.

1. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

We just bought a miniature pincher the plan is for him to ride with me in the truck .So far so good so far all the customers love him.Just wondering if any of you bring the zoo with you when you head out for the day.I was doing a bed clean up today and he just stuck with me the whole 2 hrs. Never thought I would become a dog person especially a small breed, but it happened.
  2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I love our two dogs. Unfortunately, I don't feel it is very professional to bring any animal to a customers property.
  3. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

I expected this comment but not this quick lol. If they don't like rover I don't like them.I will have to put in my adds Dog freaks only please.
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I guess it depends upon your business, some factors to consider.
    I think a dog would definitely slow you down especially if you have to worry about him getting out of the truck, getting in the customers flower beds, etc.
    Then the issue of the bathroom. If I was a customer, I wouldn't appreciate having a dog pee in my yard, maybe that's just me though.
    If you have a lot of accounts like over 100, I just don't see how it is feasible to bring the dog along on a 10 hour day.
    Now if you have only a few accounts each day, then maybe.....
  5. No, it is unprofessional, I guess someone will be asking, who brings their kids with them..
    MY 2 cents...
  6. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

I love dogs, but i dont think its a good idea to take them along on the property, maybe leave them in the truck, but that would get expensive with leaving the engine running all day with the A/C cranked.
  7. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

May be that should be on the list to tell if your a scrub. 1 point if you bring the dog. 2 points if you bring the kids.
  8. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I wouldn't bring my dog with me either, I just don't think it looks right, and ditto on the bathroom situation.
  9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I bring mine often. He stays on the trailer. thats the way he was trained, and he does what he suppose to do and thats stop anyone from walking away with any tools. I don't worry about kids coming up to him because he won't bite trained to only growl and snarl, It took a lot of training and he's passed the police K9 test for obedience and NOT biting, just showing aggression if needed. When we stop to eat I'll let him out to take care of business if he needs to but he's went plenty of 10-12 hrs days with out having to go. He's also a hospital companion dog and has been to the local children hospital 4-5 times now. BTW he's a German Shepard with both parents working law enforcement. If the kids would listen as well as the dog they might get to go along someday. :D

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Very unprofessional in my opinion.
    But of course.........just my opinion...............