1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who brings their dog to work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBrother, Apr 13, 2007.

1. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I would love to get a dog, but I don't think that it should be left alone at home all day. Dogs are pack animals and need company. So, who brings their dog out mowing? Has it caused any problems at all? Is it unprofessional?
  2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I think it's unprofessional. Are you going to allow it to roam around on the customers lawn? You should concentrate on mowing, not watching your dog.
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Some customers may worry that the dog will go bathroom on their lawn.
    Also, it wouldn't be fair to the dog to keep the dog locked in the truck, (not to mention on hot days how bad that would be).
    If you are trying to run a business, or build up a business, then a dog would just be an added distraction.
  4. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

I dont think it is unprofessional to leave the dog in the truck. I would never let it run arround the customers lawn. I feel bad leaving mine at home all day but I really hate to leave her in the truck when it is even kind of hot out. Use your best judgement. If you have a quick job close to home to work on,try it out and go from there.
  5. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I take it with me when on a light day of snow removal, when I only need a shovel.

One time I was cleaning windows and the customer saw my dog in the truck. She brought it in her house because one of her Huskies had died and the one left, was lonely, lol. My Dog ran all over her house, upstairs downstair, inside, outside.

Another time, I was just going back to a customers house to collect money and had let my dog out of the truck. The lady opened her main door then went to get her check book and her German Sheppard almost jumped through the storm door when it seen my dog.

For the most part I don't take the dog when working, only occasionally when I'm on my own.
  6. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

i take em with me when im puttin out flyers and whatnot but not when im actually working. too much of a distraction i'd say
  7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

the lco whos shop next to mine is verizon contractors and they take their dogs with them all the time when theyre drilling
  8. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

If I get in my truck then so does my beagle. No matter where im going or what I'm doing the beagle comes along.

In the mowing season I tie her someplace out of the way, so she doesn't bother anyone. Usually its on the yard side ( not road side) of the truck so she can go under and get in the shade. I have never had a negative experience with a customer. Well yes I did and it was a doozy. But all my customers love her and some even let them play with there dog.

Beware of letting a customers dog play with yours. Keep your head screwed on strait and be responsible. I wasn't thinking or being responsible and the customers dog slid into my mower and shopped her hind leg off.

The dog forgot she had 4 legs and she runs faster then you or I could, and the customer understood it was an accident.

On the positive side my beagle has got me more business then I would have gotten. Shes a gimmick that people love. Shes cute as hell so that helps.

phpXcweNUPM smaller.jpg
  9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I do not leave for work without my faithful companion with me.
    She is a female American Pointing Labrador Retriever whom I have had since eleven weeks. She is now over nine years old.
    Best customer interface tool I have ever seen - I have learned if she doesn't like the customer I wouldn't either.
    I got her to combat Canadian Geese on a golf course I ran in NE PA.
    We have been all over the place from Connecticut to the Mayan ruins in SE Mexico.
    She doesn't roam, mess or spoil a prospective customer's property - just the one next door.
    Get 'er done!
  10. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, in a past life I worked in the telecommunications construction field and that is where I first got accustomed to being on the job with dogs. I loved every minute in the field with them.

I take my dog with me a couple days a week ( hence the name) :)
    I never take her if I have a slammed back to back day of maintenance or during the summer or any other hot days. One of my dogs is extremely well behaved and will calmly sit down under a tree or follow me around the yard while I plant or rake leaves.I have an elderly client that always requests that I bring her when I visit her home. She takes my dog in the house with her and feeds her milk bones in exchange for handshakes and puppy kisses. As far as it being considered unprofessional all I can say is to each his own. You have to use your best judgment as to which clients would enjoy a visit with your dog and which ones would not. I've met other folks at work with their dogs too.......carpenters,roofers .

If you do get a dog and want to bring it to work with you, I would recommend a medium sized dog(20 to 40lbs) and not a tiny or large dog. Also, don't get a breed that is prone to chasing cats and other animals.