Who builds the fastest badest most powerful 72" mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green King, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the process of bidding a 600acre account for next year, and I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on who had the fastest and most powerful 72" machine. I have been looking around and I have two machines I really like but one of them is only available with a 25hp gas engine. I have kind of ruled it out because I am more interested in the diesel powered mowers.

Please give me brands, models and the reasons why you feel it is the fastest and most powerful!
  2. Art Stubbs handy 58

Art Stubbs handy 58 LawnSite Member

:) I would look at a Kubota or a John Deere F seires....
    and i was looking at a Ferris/info today they have the CAT motors

Good luck with your bid... WOW 600 acre is it a State Park or something?????
  3. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

SCAG Saber Tooth Tiger! With a 31 HP Diesel engine, a 72 inch deck, and a nice suspension seat, you cant beat it!
    I own nothing but SCAGs, in my own (of course humble) opinion, they are the best out there.
    Very reliable as well.
    Lots of torque
    Its dinner time! Gotta go............

4. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

600 acres??? WOW!!! Hope you get it. Is it open or with a lot of stuff in the way to mow around? We got a kubota 2010 hydro tractor with a Bush Hog finish mower 72" and it mows fast. We went with the construction tires as these dont tear up the turf and you can still use if for other things. It is a compact sized tractor with a lot of hp (30hp). Yes, you would spend more money, but with a tractor, the ride would be smoother and ours has a "cruise" control so all you have to do is steer. Another thing is, how often is it to be mowed? With a fast mower, you may have to go slow so speed won't matter. I personally use Walker myself and with their speed up kit, they still are not the fastest mower, but the job they do is awesome?

If that isn't feasible, I would look at a dixie chopper as there is an account local to me that they mow with dixies and hardly ever break down. Get a written contract so that you will have it the whole year as this sounds like it would be major income for you unless you already know that.

Good luck!!
  5. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would look at the Toro Groundsmaster with 4, 52" decks 2 of which are hydrolically driven back and forth and side to side. Jacobson and John Deere also make 30' plus cut decks that can be raised and lowered for obsticles! I only put this suggestion do to 600 acres!
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

You could go with a Walker with a 74" deck. When you are not using it on the big property you could switch to a smaller deck and use it in leaf removal season or use it next season if you don't have such a large property to mow. They offer a 26hp fuel injected Kohler or a 20.9hp liquid cooled diesel.

Good luck
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

If you want a 72" front -deck machine, forget the JD 900's and the Toro Groundmaster's. The Grasshopper 928D will out mow those two. I have run all three and the Grasshopper is way more productive than either of those other two front-deck machines. Also, you will wear your arms out cranking the steering wheel all day on the JD and Toro machines.
    For a midmount 72" unit, look at the Grasshopper 428D or the Dixie Chopper XXWD5000. Both are high production machines.:)
  8. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Damn that's big:cry:
  9. Love Thy Neighbor

Love Thy Neighbor LawnSite Member

You are about to make Bank.
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The new Bad Boy mower was a beast. Rode it in Louisville.

Bladerunner looks like a mowing machine also.

eXmark makes a diesel 72" mower also.

Hustler, I assume has something similar.