Who Builds What?

Discussion in 'Unique Lighting' started by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting, Sep 27, 2007.

1. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I just received a Unique catalog and have poured over it with a fine tooth comb. My first observation is: Where have I seen this stuff before?

Many of the fixtures in the book are seemingly identical to fixtures offered by other "manufacturers". Dabmar, Sundown, SPJ, and other off shore (Orient) companies offer many of these same fixtures, and after I received the price list from my local supplier, I have to say... at MUCH less cost then the Unique line.

Clearly there are some Unique products offered in the catalog (pun intended) but the others really tend to throw me off. No offense, but a widget is a widget, and one great tool generally doesn't have that much to offer over any other great tool of a similar design.

So I guess my question is: Does unique claim to manufacture all of their products or do they import products into their line from other sources?

Have a great day.

2. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

James-

Unfortunately the companies you named along with a host of others have found a way to manipulate foreign manufacturers into selling them products designed by us. This is one of the problems we have faced as we have taken our moldings over seas. We do all the R and D, we create the drawings, we pay for the molds, we have a full time sales staff, full marketing staff, and yet these other what we call "knockoff companies" come through and steal all of these ideas and hard work and slap there name on it and call it there's. Unfortunately we have a hard time stopping a lot of it. But luckily we have patents on almost everything we design so it just takes time before we shut one guy down on a particular light then he has to find a way to get around that. There is a reason they can sell it cheaper, number 1 they don't have any of the things I named above. They don't have to do any hard work in developing the product, they don't do any field testing, they don't pay for nice packaging and marketing materials, most of them don't have factory reps, they use outside firms. They cut there overhead all the way out based on us doing all the hard work, they then go one step further and have everything assembled by the Chinese therefore cutting out the cost of having a full time factory and production staff including QC in the USA. We assemble EVERYTHING here and perform all the QC right here. Everything is packaged right here in the USA. The box you get your lights in from any of those knockoff companies is the same box it left China in and believe me you do not want to trust them when it comes to QC in these products. So in closing I want to say that they might look like they are the same but those guys are't even close, but it is up to you to find out for yourself and decide for yourself do you want to support a company that is dedicated to growing the lighting industry and bringing new ideas to the market or do you want to support companies that ride the coattails of others steal there ideas and do nothing innovative to help this industry grow and prosper?

Joey D.

3. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for the reply Joey. It must be frustrating having all of that ripped off.

Have a great day.

4. ccfree

ccfree LawnSite Member

sweet closing Joey. Kudos to you!

5. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for understanding here guys! This is a very hot subject around here and we are going to fight these knockoff's till the death!!!