1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Who buys fuel in bulk???

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by srl28, Oct 27, 2009.

?

Who buys bulk fuel?

1. We buy bulk diesel/gas, please comment in thread below

12 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. We do it the old fashioned way, gas cans at the gas station

47 vote(s)
    71.2%
  3. Transfer tanks in the truck/trailer

7 vote(s)
    10.6%
  1. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Getting very tired of filling up every other day or so at the local gas stations, dodging soccer moms, grabbing a snack while theyre there, etc. So I'm really trying to find the best way to buy fuel in bulk. We would have 2 tanks, 1 on road diesel and 1 regular gas if possible. Plan is to have about 250 gallons of each. I cant believe we havent done this yet and it just seems to be the only way to go at this point. So who does it? How much are you paying? How are you setup? tanks, schedule, all that. Just curious.

And anyone in the North Jersey are, who are you using for bulk fuels? Thanks :waving:

2. we have one for gas, off road diesel and on road diesel all are 500 gallon tanks.

3. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you dont mind my asking, how much are you paying for on road and gas? Many rules and regs from your local town or county with setups like this??

4. its not really much different than at the station, just a big convenience factor, as far as rules and regs. this is a pretty rural and farm area and not really any.

5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We have a diesel tank at the shop, 1 fill will keep us rolling for 4-5 weeks. We save about 20 -25 cents per gallon, compared to prices @ the pump.

6. Dieselnut

Dieselnut LawnSite Bronze Member

At work we use transfer tanks. Dont have any huge machines. I want to get a skid tank for my hunting club for off road soon.

7. wagonproject

wagonproject LawnSite Member

I believe our tanks are 1000 gallon (off-road) and 500 gallon (on-road) diesel tanks. I am not sure how much it cost, I'll have to ask the old man. Also have a diesel tank in the back of the truck.

8. Hanau

Hanau LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a CFN card and fuel at commercial fueling stations. Shop around at different distributors in your area and negotiate the rate you pay for fuel.

Whenever I need diesel I laugh at the prices those poor bastards pay at the regular gas stations. My negotiated rate is much cheaper.

9. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

I fill my equipment with a transfer tank in the bed of my truck and some times we go to pacific pride with our fuel card and fill up there. no convienance store= less time wasted filling up

10. nbuzz

nbuzz LawnSite Member

would this be worth it for a small company? we run two crews and only service 65 regular clients. i would be interested in discounted fuel... since everything we run sucks the gas down.