1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who came to lawn care from the Corporate world?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Prestige-Lawncare, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering ... who came into the lawn care business (or landscaping business) from a corporate world position? Did you give up that office job for the great outdoors ... and why or what made you decide to make the jump?

If you did ... have you ever regretted it?
  2. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I did. Left the world of a large public accounting firm. No regrets other than the big ol paycut I took for about the first 5 years. If I could have changed anything, I would have purchased an existing business as opposed to starting one from scratch. On the other hand, the lack of money was somewhat offset by the gratification I found in creating and growing something into a real business.

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

Man this is my exact dilemna right now. I've been working in insurance for about a year now, and it's starting to drive me nuts. People usually are not thrilled to be talking to you in the first place, which I don't like. I also can't stand being inside all day.

I honestly don't know why I didn't take grass more seriously as I was growing up, because with the right business plan and attitude it can be an excellent career I think.
  4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

people arent going to be thrilled to talk to you in this business either.
  5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Many are thrilled to talk down to you:laugh: :cry:

I wouldn't give up the Corporate world for lawncare for 2 good reasons--Cost of fuel and Health Care. Having a spouse with a good health care plan at work may help the latter. You just better pray she doesn't lose his/her job
  6. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

I agree.. We are considered by some " The bottom of the barrel " But we all know better..
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I am probably a good example. I was VP of a Management & Marketing Consulting firm for 12 years and 7 years Director of Training for Hertz Equipment Rental Corp. I left Hertz due to medical reasons (laryngeal cancer) in '94.
  8. OKSooner

OKSooner LawnSite Member

I did. I should have done it "long before now", but at least I've done it now instead of waiting longer.

It was the right thing for me. I need to be outside for starters, plus office politics are something I never excelled at.

With the support of my wife, I'm happier than I've ever been.
  9. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I did. Left a cozy office job with a good salary and haven't regretted it once!
  10. Pioneer01

Pioneer01 LawnSite Member
    from Denver

I left a nice job working in the family buisness. Super pay, car allowance, health insurance, 2 weeks vacation, 1 week personal, 1 week sick, and last I was the SOB (son of the boss). Worked with him for 10 years and threw in the towel. I mowed a ton of lawns while I was in school and had to give it up when my parents moved into a townhome and didn't have a place to run it from (that was 17 years ago) I went full time last March and am loving it. This will be my second year and this year I landed a huge HOA, along with about 125 residential jobs.......