Who can help price w/a gas station?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lightning01svt, Jul 10, 2003.

1. lightning01svt

lightning01svt LawnSite Member

I have a customer that is getting into the gas station buis. He has bought his first station, and is looking to expand. The problem with this first one is, it is like an hour from all my other accounts. He is a really good customer, and is growing. He wants to fill all my equipment and truck up when I reach the store, and pay me for cutting the grass. I should be cutting it twice a month on season, and once a month off season. He has even mentioned that it may need to be cut once a week during the summer. Do any of you have this kind of deal currently or in the past. What should I charge? It normally takes me about 50 gallons of fuel if everything is empty. This would be currently around $68 in fuel per trip. Any help would be nice. Thanks again.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Even so,... 68 bucks + the price of a cut to drive 200 miles? I don't think so. Just have him find a local lco around there, and call it good.

3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Runner, unless the speed limit down there is 100 MPH I don't think he is going to have to drive that far. Probably the farthest it would be is 70 miles. Am I right?

4. lightning01svt

It will be like 100 to 120 mile round trip. About 1.5 to 2 hr total driving time. I already cut two other accounts for him, and I have another large account of his coming on line in November. So that is why this is kind of a dilemma for me. I just was wondering what would be a fair price to charge if he giving the fuel to me as well.

Thanks again.

5. Angelo

Angelo LawnSite Member

I don't know the size of your operation but what if you can get some additional accounts in this new area. Atlest then you can make a day out of the work as oppose to 1 job? If that is not an option i would try to get out of it without losing the other accounts.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Oops! I guess I read that a little wrong and was off by quite a bit. Still, 2 hours driving time is alot. Especially just for a gas station. I would still find someone in that area. It's just much more practicle. As gar as find more accounts that far away, - Why? Keep it close to home. It simplifies things IMMENSELY.

7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

but if he got 50 for mowing, and around 60 in free gas each time, thats pretty good money, especially if you can find a few more accounts in the area. Now, I AM assuming that this gas station is a lot like the ones in my area. Small areas of grass, about 15 to 20 minutes tops.

8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Help price a gas station? Sure. $0! Wont pay enough, usually want it cut every two weeks, way too much trash to pick up, and people always trying to rip off your equipment.

9. lightning01svt

The owner will pay me fairly. I do not have problem w/equipment being secure. I figured it out about 2 years ago, and started pulling and enclosed trailer. I keep it shut up when I am away form it. If I was to try to cut the property, I would try to locate some other properties in that area. That is a good idea. I am really just trying to get an idea if anyone has this type of setup w/a client. Free gas and payment. Just trying to get an idea on what to charge.

10. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like your customer is a valuable one, go out of your way to give him the service he requires. He DOES NOT want to have to deal with yet another vendor.
    It may cost you some, but doesn't sound like you're going into the hole, seems like a bit of an investment for you too. It'll pay in the not too distant future.