who can tell me about using a walkbehind or stander to suck up leaves?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by d.klas, Dec 1, 2012.

1. d.klas

d.klas LawnSite Member

I was looking at the Navigator... heard good things about it.. but was never really sure.. How much did you get yours for? How big is the deck?

2. d.klas

d.klas LawnSite Member

I did check it out but I want good visibility.. Its hard to see in front of you with it on. but thank you

3. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

It doesn't block your visibility at all. The bagger is on the back like a ztr.

I bought my navigator used with around a 1000 hours for 3200 I believe.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. d.klas

d.klas LawnSite Member

the pictures showed a wright stander with the bagger on the front.

5. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Scroll down and you'll see an image with it the back and a video of it on action. Or search you tube for protero. It a stand and dump. Like a dump from the seat bagger.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would stay away from Protero. There product looks great but I've heard bad things about their customer service.

Anyways...the side grass/leaf catcher does work and can work quite well. Last season that is all I used for clean ups and it did just fine.

Here's the process you'll have to use though: After you blow out leaves from rock/mulch beds, etc., slap your bagger on the walkbehind and let it fill completely up. Continue to run over all the piles of leaves a lot, until they're mulched down real fine. This will reduce the size of the pile significantly and will allow you to pick up more. After you have mulched the leaves then empty the first round and continue picking them up.

I would suggest though that you have the extension that goes onto the side catcher.

This will work but you can't expect it to work unless you mulch the leaves really well.

7. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

my walk behind is no good for bagging leaves...not enough power to suck up all the little pieces and there is a lot of blow out from the underside of the front of the deck so i end up chasing leaves around...i dont have a bagger for my stander so im not sure about that option

8. stonebridge

stonebridge LawnSite Senior Member

get a chute blocker a set of G6's and mulch them up thats all i do and yards look great

9. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT LawnSite Senior Member

We have walkbehinds and the bagging is marginal--we have a truckloader a leaf plow multiple blowers and a walker--but we do a tremendous amount of leaf clean-ups--mostly we use the blowers and leaf plow to get things to the truck

10. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

We use two standers, both with gators, but one has a full mulch kit, use one to mulch and blow the first mulch pass in a central locaton then we use the full mulch kit to slowly go over and give a final mulch pass, it leaves no sign of leaves and no bagging or tarping required.