who can tell me about using a walkbehind or stander to suck up leaves?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by d.klas, Dec 1, 2012.

1. stonebridge

stonebridge LawnSite Senior Member

i agree, whatever works, works. im solo so raking, hauling leaves don't benefit me, and i can blow and mulch a yard faster than raking and hauling away to a dump. but everybody and every area is different.
  2. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I agree! there are three of us so raking and hauling away leaves isn't an option, not to mention the extra you have to charge for dump fee's, most people don't want to pay it. Truly, I can't see any professional LCO worth his weight raking leaves.
  3. Chris Feenan

Chris Feenan LawnSite Member

Your killin' me !!!

It's a big world guy. Just because you "can't see it" from the vantage point of Greenville, South Carolina doesn't mean it's not out there.

Here, we have town trucks come through every two weeks with giant tow behind leaf loaders and a 4 man crew on the ground. They remove any leaves that we can get to the curb. We blow, rake, tarp and bag them, get them to the curb, and drive away.

Also, there are many "professional LCO's around the country that are not solo guys, or 3 or 4 guys, that work for high end customers. These people would never tolerate mulching leaves until they "disappear". They will pay whatever is necessary, to whatever professional LCO that wants to do it, to have them hauled away.
  4. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

We may be behind down here in the south, but we're not that far behind LOL we have the same trucks, why bag if they have a vacuum? I have several high end clients myself, and they don't care how you get rid of the leaves just get rid of the leaves, how I do it is up to me, I'm the owner of my business and it's my business as to know how to get up the leaves in an efficent manner, like I said earlier once we're done you don't know if they were raked mulched or blown unless you saw us doing it. I've not had nothing but great job comments from all my customers so far even the high end ones, if done properly you can't tell. we just make sure the leaves don't build up to where we are forced to rake and tarp.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  5. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I have a few properties that shed a good amount of leaves. I can usually keep up with them just about the time the grass has all but stopped growing. That's when the bagger gets put on the mower. After that, I ride around backwards looking dumb going all over the place on the lawn busting up the leaves. Once I've covered most of the lawn, I start bagging them up. I've backed over 2-3ft piles and the back of the deck just sucks them right in. I do worry that the leaves might pile up and get on the muffler. I've had to put two fires out from leaves dropping on the muffler when dumping the bags!
  6. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

I do mostly city size lots, but a few larger corner lots. I use walk behinds for everything, I let the bagger fill up and then go over everything mulching up the leaves with the bagger full. Then I empty the bagger and bag everything up. It condenses the leaves one hell of alot. Rarely get the rake off the trailer, but in tight spots once in a while I use it a little. I do around 30 accounts, but I have another full time job with insurance. You can use walk behinds, but if you are doing any large commercials, or acerage, you nee a rider with a proper vac system.
  7. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Any bagger without an impeller will do about the same, and it will be a slow process.