1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who changes blades with a cordless drill?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pinnacle, Nov 15, 2003.

1. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Makita 14.4 volt cordless............Will it have enough torque to do a blade change?

I can't find the owners manual so I don't know what the torque rating is and wonder what torque setting to use? (16 settings)
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Got the same exact one...been using it for 2 seasons now (changing blades) and works great.
  3. pinnacle

Thanks Rod,
    Out of the1-16 torqe settings what one are ya using?
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Are we talking about a cordless DRILL, or a cordless impact.... BIG difference!
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Whoops...I use a cordless IMPACT. It has no "settings". My mistake, sorry.
  6. pinnacle

Cordless Drill with torqe settings. Not an Impact.

No worries Rod :)
  7. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Alex,

Hopefully you have the "true" industrial model Makita, as Makita now puts out a cheap model range too, and they are almost identical.

14 volt cordless are pretty tough nowadays, if you already own the drill, set it on it's highest torque setting and try it, you wont hurt it, the clutch is designed to slip to protect the motor.

It is breaking the initial hold of the tightened bolt that is the decider, the impact models could be better here...

You won't hurt the drill mate as long as you place it on a torque setting, not in drill mode.

8. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey mate, I used a Panasonic 15.5v Impact Wrench. Works well although I should probably get a toque wrench for the final tightening.
  9. pinnacle

Thanks Tony!

I saw the Makita Website in the States and they have 24 volt cordless drills and cordless impact drills.................I'd like both!
    I don't think the 14.4 volt has quite enough grunt. I don't know if it was the cheapo version but it cost me around $400 form memory, so I bloody hope not.
    This "Jim's Mowing" guy told me thats how he changes his blades (on a Greenfield. LOL) And it sounds good for out in the feild.

At home I use an "SP" rattle gun and compresor. The compresor is a great thing............Good for spider webs, cleaning oil coolers on Zs, I painted our fence with an attachment, Rotate the wheels on the Ute on a regular basis etc.
    Its Great thing mate!

Also I was guna Email ya but I got ya here now.
    Have you heard of or do you use "ASP" blades , trimmer line, Belts (Parts)??
    I you don't mate.....You should try them!!
    They sell contractors pakages (packs of 50 and 100) and the savings are excellant!
    You can call and tell em ya ABN and get them wholesale direct for a $15 delivery fee.
    The best thing mate is they are made from Boron and last 30% longer because of the +/- 50 Rockwell hardness.

unit 2-111,Southpine Rd Brendale, QLD
    TEL: 3881 3464
    FAX:3881 3474
    Ask for the full catalouge and the FREE sample of trimmer line to be mailed out to ya.
    Very good company, very good product.
  10. pinnacle

Hey Mick!

How much was the Impact wrench??

I think that I need a Impact wrench with a torqe setting (if such a thing exists)

Mate have a look at my post to Tony and see the details on ASP and ask for some info!..................I would strongly recomend them to anyone.