Who checks New Blades ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fatboy5803, Feb 8, 2003.

1. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

This really urkes me, you buy a set of "New" blades and check them for Balance and there out of balance. Does anyone check their blades before installation ?? I feel they should be ready when you purchase them..

Lou :confused:

2. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I always check them. I've had numerous blades that were way out of balance when I bought them.

3. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

It does suck and if you run them out of balance we all know what happens so you would think that they would come already balanced.

4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've bought some that were actually very slightly bent before. I would have never known without my MagnaMatic balancer. The dealer didn't believe me. I had to take in my MagnaMatic because I have better sharpening/balancing equip. than he does.

5. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

Ive seldom purchased new blades that were in balance, I always sharpen them and balance them anyway, so no big deal to me........Marks Mowing Service............Save them spindles)

6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I lost my balancer. Is there a way I can balance them w/o buying the magnamatic? (not enough funds left)

I bought the one from home cheapo and it worked pretty good till lost.

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Check balance right after sharping and before installing a new set, always. More times than not the new set is out of balance.

8. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a new set 2 day. Is there a way I can check them on the wall with a nail?

9. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

Ive always sharpened new blades to clean the paint off the cutting surface any way. As far as not being balanced when new I would think even a small thick spot in the paint would knock the balance off quite a bit .

10. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yes new blades always get sharpened and balanced before using.