Who cuts lawns for realtors????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by N.H.BOY, Jan 8, 2005.

1. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Who cuts lawns for realtors? I was wondering how they got them and also I would probably quess that you mow the homes that are not sold yet. Price these the same as any other account? Thank you. Oh yea does anyone snowplow for realtors too?
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yes we have done this before, not recently but a few years ago.
    Send a professional looking letter to the broker/agent in charge.
    Our letter started out something like this......
    A lawn can be a welcome mat to any home, especially in the eyes of a potential new home buyer. If you ever need someone to take care of a property while it is waiting to be sold, look no further. We can help.....
    Then it continued on telling the realtor a little about our company, etc.

We got some work off of the letter, but the problem is, it is not consistent work (once the house is sold, you're gone), but at the time when we did this, we were looking for some extra fill in work and it filled the void. Be sure payment terms are explained specifically. Sometimes it is up to the seller of the home to cut you the check, other times the agent handles it themselves. We never had a problem getting paid.
  3. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I do some work for a few realtors. The way i got the work was by doing work at the realtors personal home/other business. Many realtors also seem to have rental properties as well. I maintain several properties for one realtor, and when ever they are selling a property that needs work they just give me a call. However many realtors are very last minute, and will need it done right now, and If you can't, they'll find someone else quick. But overall the realtor I do work for is very complementry and passes my name along to many of the other realtors. They also (in my area) have something called "e groups" which is a bulletin board which they can all send messages across.
  4. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I do lots of work for realtors, they are excellent people.. This one realtor I service about 3 of their properties.. they are residential though, I still like the residential clients much more for some reason then the commercial division?
  5. LawnMowerBoy48

LawnMowerBoy48 LawnSite Member

I have had a very positive expierence working for realtors. I have done everything from mowing and cleanups to shoveling and pumping water out of a basement. Most of the time the mowing is just for a few weeks while the house is on the market but when the house sells I have gotten the new owners as customers.
  6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Just watch your hind end with realtors. Many are wonderful people and will do great by you. Others are the scum of the earth and do that kind of work because they think they can make money without acutally doing anything.

that kind is the worst kind of lowballing, late paying, PITA you will ever find.
  7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I do about 12 lawns that are rental properties and managed by a Realtor. I charge the same for them as any other. The best way to land these accounts is to give your business card to different rental agents in your area and tell them to call when they need a property cleaned-up and put back into shape. When they call make sure that you do an exceptional job on the property and create a good impression. That gets the ball rolling. Before you know it, word gets around and you're getting calls from all of them.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, we do a lot of vacant listings as well as general clean up to make a house more presentable. We can add to a route without to much problem so it's nice extra work for a few weeks to a few months.
    The best deal is the rentals. We do lawn care for a bunch and cut about 10 now. There is a lot of building going on around here and most of the rental houses are in the 200,000 to 250K range. The tenant is someone new to the area that is looking for their home or someone building one. 90% of the time when they move into their own home they will keep us on.
    I have never had a problem getting payed.