Who cuts right threw leafs? Or you switch to bagging?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by youryardbarbourllc, Sep 30, 2010.

1. youryardbarbourllc

youryardbarbourllc LawnSite Member
    from nj

I have been mowing and cleaning leafs for 4 years now. I was part time, this year i went to pull time and i notice some LCO's by me showing up to the properties and blowing leafs before they start cutting? I normally just cut threw the leafs till the grass stops growing and then i take care of my fall clean up.

Do any of you guys blow leafs every week when you show up? You add that time into your fall clean up price? I normally dont find out till sept. billing if i am doing a fall clean up for them or not. Thanks for the help!

2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on the customer. If somebody just wants the majority collected every week, then I usually go over the lawn twice with the catcher system. If they want a full cleanup every week, then that's what they get. It's their call.

3. Ole grass cutter

Ole grass cutter LawnSite Member
    from FL

Don't own a bagger and haven't bagged in over 20 years now. Most commercial ztr's (iuse Toros) will mulch up leaves great if you back over them then pull forward it may take two times but a whole lot faster then bagging. Not sure about y'alls grass but down in FL it has worked great for many years. Some times you might have to rake a few up but very seldom.

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Leaves on our properties have begun to fall, too many to ignore, but not enough to do full-scale leaf cleanup.

On many properties the past week, I've been using my ZTR, or w/b, whichever I am using, to bring them together in an area. I don't make a tight windrow, or tight circle, but enough to produce a good cover. Then I use my hand mower (Toro Proline, with Gator blade, or Honda HRX217) to mulch them down. Sometimes I need two passes. Then I make another pass across with the ZTR, or w/b to scatter the chips.

This will not work as the season progresses and the cover gets too heavy. Then I will use a variety of methods, such as mulching with chute blocker, then recut, or blow off with 8hp wheeled blower. In other cases, they need to be gathered together with the 8hp wheeled blower, tarped up, and put in the trailer for haul away. So many factors are considered -- weather, dampness, kind of leaves, quality of turf, requirements of the customer, how many beds need to be cleaned out (size/cover/kind), .... long list. What I do today may be different than I do next week, or the week after that. I have no fixed way for most properties.

I never use a bagger on the ZTR or w/b for leaves. I will use a bagger on the hand mowers to pick up remnants, but not wholesale, raw leaves. That is much too slow.

5. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

well, yea, your in FL! Try that up here.

6. AOD

AOD LawnSite Senior Member

Around MI and other cold places, mulching works great on early leaves. As the temp drops, the mulched leaves decompose slower than they fall and can be mulched, so removing them becomes necessary. Blowing them with the discharge chute on the Z master works good, or mulching them a few times and then bagging them up. Power flow baggers work great but if you don't mulch them first they fill up way too fast. I have also used turf sweepers, but those only do a good job on unmulched leaves, as the fingers need greater surface area to puck them up.

7. youryardbarbourllc

youryardbarbourllc LawnSite Member
    from nj

So you guys do all this extra work and dont get anything out of it? This is where i am confused. Your customers ask you to do this and you charge accordingly or you just do it for your regular mowing price?

8. Ole grass cutter

Ole grass cutter LawnSite Member
    from FL

I'm not up there I would do it if I was. :)

9. doublesharp

doublesharp LawnSite Senior Member

Unless we get rain I'm pretty much done mowing. I'll cut one more time in late Oct and then I'll wait til most all the leaves drop, usually early Dec and mulch em real good. I charge double for that last cut but my properties have a lot of leaves. I blow the leaves from their patios and sidewalks to the yard and then mulch em to dust.

10. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

yea ok. come mulch up here, i would love to see it.