Who cuts with just a pick-up truck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by locallawncare.ca, Jan 23, 2013.

1. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

Whatever works. I saw a crew pulling walkbehinds out of a van once.

2. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

That sounds like dedication to me...

3. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

For a while, i've been using a 2000 f150 with a 36" exmark. I use wood ramps. For 5 or 6 years, i had an 86? toyota pick up with a quick36. Occasionally, i'll load a small mower, sideways behind my exmark; it's a perfect fit. I've always avoided trailers, don't know exactly why. Maybe i didn't like parking. I can pull into my garage and shut the door, and don't have to unload or lock anything. I use the same ramps for my snapper 28. Loading and unloading is pretty quick. The skinny dude i bought the exmark from said that he couldn't pull down the exmark staright from the bed, because he was scared it would roll over him. It just takes practice i guess.

4. JimsLocalLawn

JimsLocalLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I started with a $600 walk behind in the back of a 25 year old truck. I spent $100 at the lumber store and fabricated a bed inside my pickup bed out of wood, places for the walk behind to sit without tying it down, all handhelds had a slot that they sat in safe and secure, and ramps that were places into a rack, EXTREMELY efficient, competition used to sit across the street and laugh while I was mowing. Point is I was making money and they were wasting time.

Business is OVERHEAD - SALES = PROFIT

Lower your overhead, increase your sales, then look who's laughing

5. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

I started out with this when I was 17... i'm only 20 now. i've advanced slowly from there.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

Screen shot 2013-01-23 at 11.25.00 PM.png

6. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

Like the truck, really. It's amazing how people can see a truck like and think the driver is some kind of bum. If they only knew the truth:) The other day, i was in parked in my driveway doing my yard, and some guy asked me about raking (i had no interest in that). I told him that i wasn't the yardman and that i own the house. There was a long silence, and the poor guy looked confused:)

7. Eric's Lawnservice

Eric's Lawnservice LawnSite Member

I operate out of a 04 f150 w/extended cab. I use a trailer to haul my 52" when needed which is only about 10-15% of the time. In my truck I haul a 48" w/b and a 21" s/p. Along with all of my hand held tools. Its packed in but still have room to work around everything that is in there. I was robbed a couple years ago, and have since built a steel utility cover with swing up doors on the side. Now everything is safe and sound 24-7. I can't post pics from my phone, I will post some asap.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Is that garbage or grass in those bags? My beginnings werent that humble, I have a newer truck but the concept is the same, Eric's Lawnservice I would like to see that contraption you speak of, is there any headroom in there? Good idea though, I have to unload after everyday but not a big deal. I do alot of other gardening/pruning type jobs so my equipment can vary greatly from day to day, but a few days a week were strictly cutting. Also people talk about low overhead, but I'm amazed at how much I spent on stuff this first year, and I didnt even have any really big ticket items, just lots of miscellanious stuff, but man it adds up.

9. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

Those are just bags of leaves. And a box that a trimmer came in that I bought while the job was in progress cause my other one broke that day, so in a way it does look like garbage kinda haha. But no, its all I had to work with at the time. I'll post some pictures of where I've advanced to after I get going this spring and maybe get a couple pieces of new equipment.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

10. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Can't wait to see, I'll post some too, but my season wont start for a couple months up here in Canada.