Who cuts with just a pick-up truck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by locallawncare.ca, Jan 23, 2013.

1. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

Same here in Minnesota. How far north of the border are you? I live in Fort Frances, Ontario playing junior hockey after high school for a bit and was looking for a landscaping job while I was up there haha

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

2. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Im east of Toronto, if that helps, a few hour drive from the border at Niagra falls.

3. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

Oh i gotcha, Yeah I never was over that way while I was up there. I don't think we ever went any farther east than Thunder Bay

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

4. Eric's Lawnservice

Eric's Lawnservice LawnSite Member

Not too much headroom at all. Here are a few pic's. I have added a few pieces since these were taken.

5. locallawncare.ca

from Ontario

Sorry I dont see the pics.

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

if you cut small yards and use 21" pushmowers or walkbehinds then using just a truck would be the best way to go. it will save you alot of gas money year to year not hauling a trailer around. it's also easier to find places to park and such. there's times all i use is my truck like when doing a mulch job or doing a small lot that's kindof out of the way of my normal route. i just go home unhook the trailer and then put the 21" mower in the back and go. i also do estimates without my trailer hooked up and various tasks like that. i carry my stuff like this pic. i have and edger in there now too. if i put my 21" mower in there i just move the trimmer and edger a lil bit and put the mower right in the middle sortof at an angle so it doesn't move around.

[​IMG]

7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

EVERY day = NO loading/unloading equip needed.
    Not much difference in fuel mileage especially on the hwy.
    Just back her in the garage every PM...and she's ready to go the next AM.
    Easy to park/maneuver at jobsites or making stops during the day.
    Self-contained simplicity.

Yeah, there's cons, but as a solo that doesn't bag or haul...I'm gtg. :drinkup:

8. Grzube

Grzube LawnSite Member

I have a question for you guys who operate from only a pick-up. If you were to hook up a small enclosed trailer, 6x12 single axle, the first thing would be is to cover the trailer with logo's (free advertising), then all equipment stays dry and safe from being stolen, and looks proffesional. Now for the extra cost-Trailer-$2500, logo's-$350, insurance-$300, extra gas-$ depends on distance, say 20% more.I personally think it would be better to operate like this, just the advertising and proffesional look will pay off in a season or two.Just my opinion, and saying it from experience!

9. locallawncare.ca

from Ontario

You make a valid point, but I have a small suburban driveway, plus an open trailer already, so there would be no room for me personally, then I would have off-site storage, which is ok but I couldnt sleep at night knowing there could be theives having a picinic in it, lol. The company I worked for before did it that way and yeah its great, but to each his own.

10. Grzube

Grzube LawnSite Member

If you work solo and out of your house and park in your driveway, then it would make sense, I hear ya!