Who cuts with just a pick-up truck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by locallawncare.ca, Jan 23, 2013.

1. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

Apparently one of my pictures failed to upload. Let's try that again...

bed_loaded.jpg

2. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

Lots of creativity here and i like that. I started off this way, not bad at all. I will say its definitely only temporary but we all gotta start somewhere.

3. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

You're right. No one needs loans coming out there ears right away, or every if done correctly. Besides, I've already got that from college haha

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

4. 944own

944own LawnSite Bronze Member

I went to a isuzu with the landscape bed. Last year was my first full year with the landscape truck. I will never go back to pulling a trailer. I think anyone that tried the landscape truck would ditch the trailer.

5. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

What's the average MPG on something like that?

6. 944own

About 10 I was getting around 12 with my f150 and a trailer. My route is pretty tight so not a real big deal.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if I could ever switch over to using a landscape truck. I'm sure its nice and convenient in a ton of ways but, I think I just like my truck way too much, and don't mind pulling a trailer at all really. Is anyone else like that?

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

8. 944own

Not knocking anyone at all. Just my experience from using both. Much less hassle more compact and much easier to turn around.
    Everything has pros and cons.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Starting out in the early 90s I had a two door 82 Carolla and hauled a 100 pound commercial 21" Snapper in the trunk. Then in 94 I got from my moms dead uncle a Wheel Horse 252-H with a 37" deck. The deck fit between the fenderwells of a Mazda B2000 I had just bought. I bolted cedar ramps to the tailgate with hardware hinges. Then I got a Toro 117 Groundsmaster with a 44" deck. Backed in the deck fit between the sides of the bed but the tailgate had to be down. I then got longbed F150s and the Toro 117 fit in fine backwards no matter if it had a 44" or 52" deck on it. If you rent where you live there can be limitations like I have to not have a trailer.

10. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

When I read the subject line, "who cuts with just a pickup truck", I pictured an old ford pickup with a belly mower mounted underneath it. :dizzy: :laugh: