Who Designs this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Oct 25, 2003.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've been taking care of model homes for a builder for a few years now. This is a photo of a lawn that was just installed and I'll be cutting it next year. What Einstein decided to put a patch of grass as an island with no real access to it?

blocked.jpg

2. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

They are called "Landscape archetechs"

I have had more then a cross word with a few. Most are educated idiots you know they can tell you how to do it but they cant do it themselves.

To recieve a degree in L.A. it is my belife that they should do a summer in the lawn care buss.

I am arguing with one now about winterizer application I showed him soil test results from poor soil and he told me I shouldnot have put 21-7-14 50%slow release. The bank says "hes got the degree" I say Ive been doing the business when he was in diapers.

But I told them he guarentees it for 1 year they we'll do it right.

Jim

3. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) One that wants you to use a trimmer i reckon or pickup your 21" and carry it, some folks just don't look to far ahead.....Marks Mowing Service

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I understand about the access bob.

otherwise it looks like a nice design.

are you on retainer to trim the bushes too? ;)

GEO

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have a job almost exactly like that and I cuss and swear every time we have to do it. We wind up having 2 of us carry a 22 incher over some English Boxwoods so we can mow about 150 square feet of grass. The LA for this job obviously (yours and mine) never considered how the grass was gonna be cut each week.

But, I just do what my dear old daddy used to tell me. "Son, when in doubt, just charge accordingly". And that's just what I do btw...

6. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like sage advice. Lots of guys could learn from that.

7. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I had one job (for half an hour) that didnt have any access to the back yard, at all! Had to push the mower, trimmer and blower through the house over carpet past the TV, out the back slideing glass door. They were units that all had 6' high fences around the yard. Un...beleiveable! Those L/S archies have no idea! The lawn would probably only get maybe an hour or so of sun a day, to top it off!

8. Green Goblin

Green Goblin LawnSite Member

are you sure a LA did this ? I don't know too many LA's that design small houses like this.

9. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Mickhippy

Where in Qld are ya mate?

I'm in Hervey Bay.

Tony.

10. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

On the Gold Coast mate. Its warming up aint it! Looks like a good season around the corner.