who do you prefer to work for?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fblandscape, Sep 17, 2003.

1. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

In regards to residential clientelle, what kind of people do you prefer to work for? I don't mean the size of their bank accounts, or the size of their homes. I am talking about their personalities. I honestly prefer working for people who will offer you cold drinks and a little food. The kind of people who will leave you be when you really need to get stuff done, but will walk the property with you when they want some work done. The kind of people who will just stop and shoot the ---- with you for a few minutes. Am I alone on this one or no?

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

All of my customers are like that. They all have six digit incomes, 8,000sf homes, and will spend what is necessary to make them look nice. They always have time to walk the property, and often do. That is how I end up with lots of little "extras". I even had a couple call me and told me not to come over on my sceduled day because it was to hot. I assured them that I would be ok.

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

I prefer and will work for those that pay the invoice.........:p

Residential, commercial. I have no preference. Have had good experience with both

4. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lol Glan....I agree to bad they are sometimes few and far between.

5. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

We definitely prefer to work for someone who is easy to get along with, but as was stated, so long as they pay the bill!
    It's more of a bonus to have customers you can talk to openly for a while, as you communicate easier on a more comfortable level. If I had a chioce, they would all be the friendly type, offering us cold drinks.

We just had a new bush job yesterday where the man offered us cold water 10 minutes after we started. We told him maybe when we are done. After all was said and done, he was happy with the job, got paid right there, and booked aerating job on the spot.

I'll take a customenr like that anyday!:D

6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

My favorite customers are widows. They pay my invoices the instant they receive them, and seem to really appreciate me.

Some are a little picky, but I'd rather work for someone who knows what they want then someone who doesn't...and only knows that what you did isn't it.

The trick is not getting into a 1/2 hour conversation with them every time you service the lawn!

Beach cottages owned by part-time residents are my least favorite. It seems they only want the lawn mowed when they plan to be in town, my invoices go unpaid, and they sometimes claim I didn't mow when I say I did.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The ones that give me a completely free rein, let me take care of their prop as when and where I see fit, and don't bust my nads over the price of everything.

8. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Blue collar are the best and they pay on time.

Most of them understand hard work and they're willing to pay as long as you are consistant and do quality work

9. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

i like the people that call once in the spring for a price then they call in the fall to thank me for my services.i never see them and they never see me.they call back in late winter to make sure that i didn't forget them for the spring

10. Lawnalternatives

Lawnalternatives LawnSite Member

I need more of those. I like to call them ghost accounts. I currently have about a dozen or so like that. It seems to me that ghost accounts are few and far between. The rest of mine will wear you out, just lonely and wanting someone to talk to.