Who Does a Business Plan?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by LLMSERVICE, Oct 22, 2002.

1. LLMSERVICE

LLMSERVICE LawnSite Member

Last spring, I put together a business plan for my business, identifying the market, competition, marketing, finances and management and it really has paid off as far as helping me focus my business.

Now, I'm doing a year end round up and planning my marketing and operations for 2003.

I'm curious if anyone else does a business plan or is considering it?

2. Art Stubbs handy 58

Art Stubbs handy 58 LawnSite Member

yes i work off a business plan each year, it helps me stay on track and focused with my business, I also have a board in front of my desk with 3,6,9,12 month goals, keeps the business plan in check at the end of the year for me .

if i dont do this it seems like i'm always running in circles :dizzy:
    it also helps me with my budget each quarter...:D

3. ranger520

ranger520 LawnSite Member

Hi Art,

I have been wanting to do this for some time but always draw a blank when it comes down to doing it. I wish there were some kind of format to start with. any pointers would be great.

scott

4. KenGreenPro

KenGreenPro LawnSite Member

I have been working on my plan for a month or so now, am currently working on the marketing segment and am working on those numbers as we speak. I agree, since i started on the plan i have been a lot more organized, have been able to put all those notes ive made on scrap paper into an organized plan. I would recommend it to anyone starting out like myself...i plan on being up and running in Jan. For an ongoing business i think it makes even more sense as mentioned in the previous post...it seems to give some direction. I am using Business plan pro 2003 which i DL'd off of Kazaa.com. Great program and even has an example of a lawn care company business plan along with about 400 examples from other types of businesses. Another good source of examples is the SBA website. they have plenty of links for business plan advice and examples......I know a lot of people starting out dont do a business plans especially if they have their own funds, if you dont have your own funds and plan on borrowing, it is essential to have a plan........but for me, it seems to be essential either way...well worth the time in my opinion.

well thats my 3 cents...........used to be 2 cents but we have to account for inflation....

if you need any help with it, please feel free to email me, im not an expert but ill do my best.

take care
    Ken

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Yes, SBA is a very good start. In fact, I am attending a 3 hour seminar Thursday night on business planning (only $30). Tonight they have one on basic bookeeping and it's only $20. About 50% of all SBA or SCORE sponsored seminars are free.

Good luck
    MATT

6. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Always a great idea to use them. And you get out of them what you put into them.

LLM, I use mine for all the same reasons you use yours.

Kudos for making that effort. You will find that it provides useful assistance to you every year.

7. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

I just covered business plans in my business management class at school :). To get your business on the right track and become successful a business plan is necessary. A business plan will give you the confidence you need in starting a business. It will show you the risks involved in starting a business. Most importantly, a business plan will keep you organized and include goals that you plan on achieving.

- Jim Moffatt, senior at Christian Brothers High School. Memphis, TN

8. Barry D

Barry D LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Jim, do you have copy of a business plan? If so, can you send it to me. I am having a hard time preparing my business plan. Many members are trying to develope a business plan but finding it a hard task. This is my first time working for myself and need all the help that I can get.

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Went to my seminar on writing business plans last night and it was very insightful. It was more tailored to new businesses seeking fund from a bank, but I learned a few thing. I learned a little something on market research....which will be very helpful this spring determining exactly where I want to market my service and establish my route. Met some new contacts. These guys will even meet with me one on one and consult my business future with me......free of charge. One guy was talking about a database at the local newspaper. He went there and looked up his profile they had on him....this is incredible. It had documented what kind of car he drives, when brand, how often he makes a purchase, it even said that he owns two basset hounds, different business ventures he was involved with, what credit cards he had and what he purchases on them......the list went on. I talked with him about my business and the need for a market research and he said don't bother with that data base, for this industry he had files upon files of market researches. Who pays for lawn care, landscaping, age group, income and so on. I really excited about an appointment with these guys. Since their services are offered for free, there is a waiting list of about 2-3 weeks to see them. I see myself already having a huge edge on the local competition.....YAHOO!!!!

MATT

10. gamoose

gamoose LawnSite Member

Walker Talker,
    Are the SBA seminars through a local university or county/state gov't? I always notice several business plan software packages when my wife drags me through Wal-Mart.