Who does Holiday Lighting?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fescue Farmer, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Fescue Farmer

Fescue Farmer LawnSite Member

Who here does Holiday lighting? I am curious how many LCO's across the world perform this luxurious service. I am also curious how any one prices their jobs - per strand; per bulb; per etc..............

Here is a 24 foot Bradford Pear Tree that my partner and I have lit the last two years in West Knoxville - 80 man hours up - 80 man hours down - we have become very intimate with this tree - 2 1/2 miles of light strands - 10 30amp dedicated circuits!

The Bradford2-1.jpg

2. jgc8fan

jgc8fan LawnSite Member

Not me but I'm VERY interested... I keep looking for holiday related services in case we get slow (Yes it does slow down in FL a bit in winter). How do you advertise that??? Do you just do specialty things like that or also simple residential put the lights up on the house for old Mrs Jones? Wish I'd thought of it last year when I was living off my last few paychecks from my ex-job.

3. Flyscaper

Flyscaper LawnSite Member
    from USA

This will be my first year doing this. I am hopping for the best. I know of other company's in my area that offer this service. However now is the time to start advertising, Also there are a lot of previous threads about this subject.

4. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Fescue Farmer, from what I hear it can be a very profitable business. It also keeps your people busy for several weeks of the year,,,Oct-Nov through feb with the take downs. There are franchises available which may be useful and from what i hear are pretty good deals. Also, i saw where it took you just as long to take the lights down as it did to put them up. You might want to think about getting a pair of pole pruners and cutting the lights off and throwing them in the trash. This saves lots of time in not only removing the lights but also keeps you from spending time the following year trying to untangle the strands, trying to figure out why the lights dont work, playing with the little bulb etc. Just my 2 cents.
    Todd

5. joburnet

joburnet LawnSite Member

That tree looks fantastic.

160 man hours? Jeeze. How much did you charge?
    What did you use?
    It looks like mostly red mini-s with a smattering of C9 or C7's?
    Also, did you have to use a bucket truck to do this? If not, how did you do it?

This will be the first year that we are offering this service, I have done one house so far to get a feel for the business, it leaves a little to be desired but I beleive is a good first run, the job was free for a friend. A picture is here:
    http://www.aperfectshineholidaylighting.com/pics/ourhouse.jpg

6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

This might sound like a dumb question, but are you insured properly for this kind of work? If some kind of electrical fire were to start because of the lighting installation it's possible that you might be held liable for damages. To be safe I would check my policy before doing this type of work. Also, some cities require a licensed electrician to do commercial lighting display installations.