1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

who does their own taxes with those taxcut programs?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Clear-Cut, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

anyone use the "taxcut" or whatever the hell it is to do there business taxes?

if not then what is a typical hourly rate to pay an accoutant?

im not a large company so if it is easy enough to do it myself i will
  2. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

If you're not using an accountant, you're not making enough money.

Change the way you're doing business, cause an accountant will more than pay for himself... over and over in my experience. And they give great counsel... :usflag: :canadaflag:
  3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Who are you going to talk to if you have a problem?
    A BOX!
  4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

A good accountant will minimize your tax liability each year. They know all the loopholes and tricks. Mine saves me HUGE headaches which I'm sure I would get if I tried to do my own bookkeeping.

And if you get something confusing from the IRS, you can do what I do - just give it to the accountant:laugh:
  5. apowell18

apowell18 LawnSite Member

I'm curious too...I use Taxcut for my personal finances but come next year I will be looking at the business edition of Taxcut...
  6. bigcountry01

bigcountry01 LawnSite Member

my dad is my personal accountant:dancing: dont get much better than that....or cheaper either
  7. Clear-Cut

i wish i could but im going through college now so im kind of limited to how much work i can do everyday

haha good one

so can you guys answer this for me?

how do most accountants charge, by hour, take a percentage of whatever they save you, a flat rate? this way i have an idea and i dont get shafted
  8. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine charges by the hour. If you think they are going to shaft you then you should look for another accountant.
  9. Clear-Cut

would you mind saying how much per hour and if it is high or low. this way i have a ballpark amount...

the only way to know i am not getting shafted is if i know what the "going rate" is for most accountants
  10. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a firm with four CPA's and a few staff accountants. Their rate is about $60 per hour.

I met with one of the partners for about an hour in November and told her what I was looking to do. I went in with a list of about 20 questions and just asked away. She answered all of my questions and had pointers which I would never had thought of. Some of the questions were things you might even go to a lawyer for answers (which she did advise I see as she was not an attorney). None of that cost me anything.

If I need help setting up Quicken she is available for that as well. When July rolls around and it's time to file my quarterlies I just bring them a copy of my data file. They prepare the docs and check that I am doing things correctly. She said it should take about 30 minutes. So once a quarter I spend $30 to $45 dollars and at the end of the year it will be about $200.