1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who does your Bookkeeping?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lucary, Apr 7, 2010.

1. lucary

lucary LawnSite Member

Since owners have many jobs (sales, marketing, collection, bookkeeping, contracting, scheduling, payroll, hiring, etc.). Back office functions dealing with accounting are always done at the last minute and late into the night. I want to know if there is a demand for outsourced bookkeeping services - such as adding payables, new customers, items, vendors and employees to your accounting system like QuickBooks. Quickbooks entries would be entered (by people experienced with the accounting software) overnight and cost about $.75 an item. Is this of interest to the lawncare & landscaping community?
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I do the book keeping and have a CPA do my taxes. The books don't necessarily consume too much of my time.
  3. lucary

lucary LawnSite Member

What back office functions do take too much of your time and you would like to outsource?

I am looking at a host of back office services for the small business marketplace. One is a scheduling program for a Motorola smartphone that synch with QBs over the internet.

I have a buddy in Bloomington who works for State Farm (who else)
  4. Southern Elegance

Southern Elegance LawnSite Member

cpa does it all . well worth the money
  5. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i do all of my own book keeping minus the taxes. it really doesn't take all that much time IMO.....

i do however hope to one day have a "secretary" who can answer the phones, schedule estimates, deal with the no or late payers, do the invoicing, etc. but thats way way down the road.....
  6. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

I do all my entries
    bookkeeper comes by once a month or so just to make sure everything is good to go
  7. jimshack

jimshack LawnSite Member

my wife has her own bookkeeping business, so she is the obvious choice for me. I just email her who to bill and how much and give her receipts. she takes care of the rest, including spending all my money!
  8. Dugann

Dugann LawnSite Member

I do my own collections (another reason to check up on my crews work, visit with customer, and sell other services that they might need.), I have a CPA that dose my payroll and keeps me straight with the government. I keep my own books. This way just works for me. However, I really really think that I need a office person in like a bad way.....preferably one that is red headed, and....oh never mind back to the thread.... This way works for me but don't ever get behind on your government commitments. good luck.
  9. EcoGreen Services

EcoGreen Services LawnSite Member

My Wifes a CGA.
    I just dump everything on her desk :)
  10. BearWise Landscapers

BearWise Landscapers LawnSite Senior Member

There are plenty of good ways to go with bookkeeping and payroll services. I recommend that you stay clear of Employee Leasing (PEO's) though, unless you have to. Here is a link to an article about the problems with professional employer organizations.